Daughters of American Revolution Winner: Sabrina Maristela

Written by: Samantha Roycraft    

This year senior Sabrina Maristela was awarded first place for the Daughters of American Revolution (DAR). She was given the award in February, and since she was not even aware that the award existed, it was a complete shock to her.

“I did nothing to get the award,” Maristela said. “I didn’t know it was a thing. My teachers nominated me and an email was sent to the whole senior class and they voted. I found out that I was nominated for this award through other students telling me that they voted for me.”

The DAR is a very prestigious award given to those who make a difference in their communities and their fellow student’s lives.

“Daughters of American Revolution promotes patriotism and good citizenship,” Maristela said. “It recognizes good character and hard work in the community. You are not only being recognized as a scholar or an athlete; you are being recognized as a good example and good person.”

Being awarded first place for the DAR award was a big accomplishment for Maristela. She was happy to be viewed by her fellow students as a good person.

“Personally, it is the award I am most proud of because it is good to know you are smart, but it is better to know you spread joy, and you are viewed as a role model by your peers,” Maristela said.

Considering the award qualifications, Maristela knows that she was not the only nominee who could have been chosen.

“I was shocked when I found out that I had won the award because the other candidates were great too, and I could have seen it going to anybody,” Maristela said.

Being awarded the DAR will not only stand out to her peers, but on applications for college as well.

“It is nice to have proof that I am a good candidate for colleges; it stands out in the application,” Maristela said.

She plans to attend Purdue University to major in Physics and possibly major in Spanish. Maristela hopes to eventually work with black holes and dark matter.