Key Club

Key Club Blanket Drive

Clubs offer students many opportunities, such as hanging out with friends, improving social skills and meeting new people. Listing clubs on resumes and college applications can show that students work well in a group and are actively involved during high school. One of the many clubs offered at Center Grove is Key Club.

“What I enjoy most about Key Club is watching the students take an idea of helping a group and taking that idea forward to raising the money and giving it to them,” Key Club sponsor Catherine Kiggins said. “They get a lot of satisfaction from it.”

Key Club is a service organization for high school students. Members learn how to serve their school and community by developing positive leadership skills that will be used for the rest of their lives.

“I enjoy having the opportunity to give back to the community and make a difference in the lives of those who we help,” senior Key Club President Sam Munro said.

For junior Alexa Fuss, Key Club has both individual benefits and service opportunities.

“I think others should join because its a great way to meet new people and help out others who need it,” Fuss, the Key Club historian, said. “Being in Key Club looks great on a college application.”

In a recent project, Key Club finished making blankets for the homeless. These blankets were given to Tear Down the Walls, a ministry dedicated to helping the homeless of Indianapolis. Currently Key Club is collecting shampoos, conditioners, toothbrushes, and other toiletries to send to Riley.

“They [TDW] were very grateful,” Kiggins said. “It was a lot of fun making them and having to re-make some of them. The kids laughed and talked during the process.”

Key Club is planning an eighth grade intro to high school dance. According to Munro, all proceeds will be sent to the charity March for Dimes. The dance will be held in the Hall of Excellence during March.