ComedySportz opens season with Carmel match

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.32.34 AM 2

Eli Norman | Staff Writer

CGHS is home to numerous teams that compete on the field, but there’s a team that doesn’t compete on the field. One takes the stage for hilarious–and sometimes ludicrous– antics.

“ComedySportz is an improv comedy club. We compete head-to-head with other teams around central Indiana in skit games, pun games, even musical ones,” sophomore Meredith Fain said.Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.33.15 AM 2.png

ComedySportz provides an opportunity to showcase improvisational talents in a fast-paced competitive environment and also provides chances to strengthen the students mental muscles, creative abilities and their ability to think on their feet.  

ComedySportz matches are not like any other team’s matches since the crowd plays a role in them.Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.33.28 AM 2

“[During matches] we play games from suggestions given from the crowd,” junior Laney DeLuna said. The fans of matches also ultimately get to decide the winners and losers.

While many students know of the CG Comedy Sportz team, they may not realize that there is a global network of comedians. The organization started in Milwaukee in 1984. Today, it has numerous clubs and teams throughout the United States, Europe, and  and has since grown to have twenty-five locations in the U.S. and Europe.

ComedySportz doesn’t only perform, they also have to practice. “We have weekly practices in the Media Center, where we just go over the gist of the games we might play,” DeLuna said.

Although students are no longer able to join ComedySportz, everyone can come out and enjoy the laughs in the auditorium on March 1 at 7 p.m.