Prom preparation underway for students

Cameron Petty|Staff Videographer

Jessica Richardson|Staff Writer

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsekDQv6y7w]

Prom is this weekend and some students may be stressed in planning their weekend of fun. To alleviate some of this, we’ve put together a tip list of last-minute ideas.

Places to Get Pictures:

Since prom is already downtown, there are many outdoor places to get pictures such as:

• The Circle, which has a beautiful 360-landscape that is great for picture taking of all angles.
  • Broad Ripple has a free-spirited vibe with a park and views of the White River.
  • Mass Ave also has a fun vibe with public art displays and eccentric shops that would make unique backgrounds to your photos.   
  • The Canal is a gorgeous waterway with a ton of scenery and architect.
  • Garfield Park is the oldest park in Indianapolis that has a conservatory and lake. The conservatory usually has flowers and plants that would make for a great photoshoot, and it’s an easy stop on your way downtown.

Last Minute Places to Get Dinner:

• Scotty’s Brewhouse in Downtown Indianapolis is a great place to take your date or your friends. The day of prom go online to their website and put yourself on the waitlist.
  • Bazbeaux on Mass Ave is a great establishment if you are looking to have a delicious pizza. They run on a first come, first serve basis so make sure you get there early.
  • Brugge Brasserie in Broad Ripple is great if you are looking for something exotic. It’s a great restaurant with Belgian roots. It has call ahead seating after 5 p.m.
  • Pearl Street Pizzeria downtown is tucked into an alley across from Scotty’s Brewhouse but has amazing pizza. It’s off-the-beaten-path location also means you might be able to snag an empty table without a reservation.

Parking Tips:

Parking at Crane Bay is usually free, but if for some reason it is not make sure you have cash on hand. Parking garages downtown will accept credit cards, but cash is always easier. In the event of parking at a meter, you can use a credit card at a paybox close to your space — remember your parking space number. If you don’t want to hassle with finding the pay box, download the ParkMobile app and store a credit card in it (hello, parents?) before you head downtown. Once you’ve found street parking, you can simply pay from your car before you get out. As a plus, the app will send you a reminder when you have 15 minutes left, so you can either get your check or extend your parking.

Have a great time at prom this weekend and stay safe!