Sound System and CG Singers perform with Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

Mara Bastin | Staff Writer

While many other students were attending the Homecoming dance on Saturday evening, members of CG Sound System and CG Singers were performing with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra at the Hilbert Circle Theatre and Troupe Vertigo, a Los Angeles-based circus groups that travels around the country.

“It was literally dreamlike,” Junior Alayna Whitis said. “Everything was so professional and it was cool considering that it was not an everyday opportunity you see thrown your way.”

This year’s performance with the ISO was a one-time occasion, making it all the more memorable for Sound System. However, preparing five songs, including “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Pure Imagination,” for the event took days of practice.

“We all practiced the songs every day and went to rehearsals in the few days leading up to it,” Whitis said.

Not only did the event take extensive practice, but it also took a level of professionalism to work with other musicians in an entirely different environment.

“The experience was pretty incredible because we met so many different professionals,” Sophomore Daniel Neville said. “It also gave me the realization of how strict and serious you must be with these professionals.”

The unique experience gave choir members a taste of the focused work of a professional orchestra.

“[The show] actually went really well. All of the singers and dancers were amazing and the orchestra that ISO has is extremely talented. Without the support of the orchestra, the show probably wouldn’t have been so smooth,” Neville said. “It really impacted our choir because it showed us how many chances we get to perform at these amazing places and we can’t take that for granted because we may not be able to go back for a while.”