Free events to visit on MLK day with the donation of canned goods

Tori Sykes and Dylan Godsave | Website Editors

On Monday, Jan. 21, students have the day off of school in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. day.

Many Indianapolis museums will be offering free events or admission with the donation of a canned good. If you’re looking for something to do on the day off, consider visiting one of these locations:

1. The Indianapolis Museum of Art will be closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day but will be offering free admission today  from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  2. The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis has an exhibit dedicated to MLK and will include a performance by The Griot Drum Ensemble on Monday. Their hours of operation are from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  3. The NCAA Hall of Champions, open from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., will allow free entry with canned food donations on Monday. All exhibits will be open including a screening of The Game of Change, interactive sports simulators, and trivia challenges to name a few. Indianapolis Indians’ players and the mascot Rowdie will be on site from 11 a.m. until noon to visit with attendees.
  4. From 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Conner Prairie is hosting free theater performances to honor MLK, along with their traditional activities such as candle making, Discovery Station, Tree of Dreams and more.
  5. While the Indianapolis Zoo is typically closed on Mondays in January, they are open this Monday in honor of MLK. All indoor activities, the dolphin show and some outdoor exhibits will be open from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  6. The Indiana State Museum also offers free admittance to whoever brings canned goods to donate to Gleaners Food Bank. In addition, the IMAX within the museum is hosting a free screening of the movie “Selma” at 7 p.m.