Best Buddies hosts first ever shootout during boys basketball halftime

McKenna Bryant | Staff Writer

During halftime of the boys varsity basketball game against Lawrence North last Friday, Best Buddies had the opportunity to have a shootout of their own.screen shot 2019-01-28 at 10.55.50 am

“We were trying to come up with something different for our January out of school event, and we always try to make sure our buddies participate in a typical high school event,” senior Molly Surface said.

The members of Best Buddies approached Coach Zach Hahn with the idea and worked with Hahn and other Center Grove Basketball regulars to figure out when they could hold the event and recognize the buddies.

“I think it’s important because the more people who volunteer and play with the kids, then the more the kids will play basketball and have fun,” senior Lexie Hoskins said. “They don’t want to do it if no one comes, and I know they have a better time with more people around and encouraging them.”screen shot 2019-01-28 at 10.55.57 am

The event showcased a competition between two different teams to see who could make more free throws in three minutes. Club members wanted to be prepared, so they practiced their shooting skills twice last week during STaR.

The club’s goal was to help the buddies get involved with the school and bring more awareness to their group.

“I believed we accomplished some quality basketball, some quality fun, and some quality inclusion,” Teacher Adam Gaff said.