Theatre department begins working on spring play

Emma Red | Staff Writer

The theatre department is kicking into gear this week, working on its spring production of “Paradise Lost and Found.” This time around, though, there will be some big changes for the cast, crew and directors.

“Paradise Lost and Found’ is a comedy set in the modern day, and the whole show is set in the lost-and-found department,” Drama Club Director Ashlee Vitz said. “The fall play was a huge production and a musical, but this is a straight play. Something really cool about this production in particular is that most of the cast is underclassmen, which doesn’t usually happen. It was really cool to see so many freshmen and sophomores up on stage ready to put their best out there for us. We also have understudies this year, which has never happened before as far as I know.”

Freshman Katie Pinkus said the audition process was comfortable and calm, winning her the role of an understudy for a lead in the show.

“Auditions were set up really nicely, so it wasn’t scary, and I think I did really well because of that,” she said. “Being an understudy is preparing me to play a lead in the future and is teaching me what I need to learn and what I need to do better. I’ve had so much fun doing it. I definitely want to continue with theatre in high school because of this opportunity.”

Along with changes for the cast, changes are also taking place for the crew as they get used to operating a smaller show for the spring.

“I’ve been upgraded to stage manager this year,” said junior Brianna Limbruner, who usually takes on the role of crew coordinator backstage. “So much of this show is just lights and sound because there’s a lot less moving parts, so I am the only stage manager. Even though this role is only temporary for me, I’m really glad that I’m being trusted to take it on. Everything is really different, so I’m excited to learn through it. We’re getting to be pretty organized in our new positions, so I think it’ll be a really funny and great show.”

“Paradise Lost and Found” was written by Pat Cook and will be performed thrice by students at Center Grove High School starting on Friday, April 5 at 7 p.m. It will run at the same time on Saturday, April 6 before closing on Sunday, April 7 at 2 p.m.