Math NHS provides students avenues to pursue math interest

Spencer Anderson
Junior Anubhav Majumdar inducts students during the Math NHS Induction ceremony, beside senior Ellen Nguyen, sophomore Kelli Wang and senior Ella DeWitt.

Math-loving students gather for Math NHS to enjoy math activities, games, and puzzles. Currently in its fifth year, this club is not just for those who do extremely high level math. The truth is, almost anyone who enjoys math can be a member if they meet a few requirements.

John Moore, one of the club sponsors, said students need at least a 3.67 GPA in math on a 4.0 scale.

“One also needs to have completed their third year in high school math to be inducted,” Moore said. “We also ask that each member participate in a few math contests. However, you can still go to the meetings even if you aren’t a member.”

Math NHS is an inclusive place for people who enjoy mathematics, but there are some steps to become an official member. Everyone that has been inducted for this school year, however, has a connection to math, and some even consider making future careers in math, including junior Anubhav Majumdar.

“I just always found math as a subject that stood out to me.” Majumdar said. “It’s just something I found enjoyable and I am efficient at. It’s also a really important subject for STEM-related careers, which involves pretty interesting jobs.”

Some people see math as a career option, some hate it, and some enjoy it as a hobby. Sophomore Mohammad Khan said he likes doing math.

“I enjoy the satisfaction after solving a long, complex problem and getting it right,” Khan said. “I was obviously introduced to math at school, and I’ve stayed in it both because it is a required subject and also because math is exciting.”

The group also has leadership roles, one of which is held by president Ellen Nguyen.

“In terms of leading, it’s very exciting, but also very nerve wracking,” Nguyen said. “But it’s very fun cause you get to plan all these activities for people that enjoy math, and I would consider it fun.”

Math NHS gives math students the opportunity to engage in activities that revolve around a subject they enjoy

“I think math is fun and rewarding,” Khan said. “And although I do not intend to become a mathematician, I intend to continue to use math and the skills I have learned during it throughout my entire life.”