Lights, sound, Sh’Boom

All-male student-led ensemble performs in the community and carries on a legacy
Photo Contributed
(From left to right) Junior Brady Boyce, sophomore Jonah Smith, sophomore Ethan Wood, junior Brock Bailer, senior Eli VonDielingen , junior Krishaan Vadia and senior Cooper Peters performs at fall fest this year.

Since 2015, Center Grove has enjoyed performances from Sh’Boom, an all-male ensemble. The group has entertained the Center Grove community by performing at many events over the years. This year the ensemble has seven members: sophomores Ethan Wood and Jonah Smith, juniors Brady Boyce, Brock Bailer and Krishaan Vadia, as well as seniors Eli VonDielingen and Cooper Peters. 

The group works to carry on the legacy of Wilson Smith, the founder of Sh’Boom.

“Sh’Boom is very special to me because my brother Wilson started it around eight years ago,” Jonah said. “It feels like a responsibility for me to carry on this great opportunity and keep making sure the group stays performing at a top-tier level.”

Each year, to carry on Wilson Smith’s legacy, more students are chosen to be a part of the ensemble. 

“You become a member of Sh’boom by being a plus vocalist in the choir and by being able to hold your part. A leader is chosen by the previous leader and Mrs. Dice as someone who shows leadership and is a great vocalist,” Bailer said.

After many hours of rehearsals and performing, the group has created a special bond. Their hard work and commitment have brought them closer together. 

“Sh’Boom is a family. The ability and dedication of all the members create a very unique environment with a very high performance level,” VonDieligen said.

The group’s close bond helps them to create a reputation and a sense of recognition throughout the community. 

“Sh’Boom has built a reputation of success,” Bailer said. “I am so grateful to be a part of a team where we are able to work together to entertain audiences of all ages, performing to the best of our abilities. We have blended so well together, not just as musicians but as friends as well. I love seeing all of our hard work and dedication as a team develop into a finished product that captivates our audiences.” 

Over the years, Sh’boom has performed in front of many different people. Not only do they perform for many people in the community, but they also are able to sing at the Center Grove’s choir shows.

“Some events Sh’Boom does over the course of the year are National Anthems at sporting events, Christmas caroling, live music around the community and performing in the shows here at Center Grove,” Vondieligen said.

Singing is the group’s way of getting the community involved and inspiring others through their love of music.

“I think it means a lot to the community as well to see a student-led acapella group go out and sing not because they have to but because they love to,” Smith said.

When it comes to giving back to the community, the members of Sh’Boom try to help out as much as they can.

Shboom does lots of things for the community like caroling, singing at gatherings (parties, funerals, and other events),” Smith said. “We also consistently sing at Center Grove sporting events such as football, basketball and volleyball games.”

Through spending time in practices and community events, members of Sh’Boom have created a bond that has brought them closer as friends. 

“I think it’s great for the group to go out and do these things, it brings us closer knowing that we’re providing for our community,” Smith said.