Indy Sports Award Show

Indy Sports Award Show

By: John Richardson

Last Thursday, Apr. 26,  was the first-ever Indy Sports Award Show, presented by Indy Star.  It involved players, coaches and celebrities eating and celebrating a great year in Indiana high school sports.  Teams, individuals, and families from all over the state came and enjoyed the special evening in Lucas Oil Stadium. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 8.33.57 AM
Coach Eric Moore poses with sons Jackson and Tyson.

The evening started with a red carpet introduction and photo opportunity for every guest.  Attendees were led to the front inside entrance of the Colts Stadium where tables were lined around a stage with the backdrop of the glass windows allowing the city of Indianapolis to be showcased.  

After the dinner, several speakers were able to make it to the occasion.  Those speakers included the host for the evening Stephanie White, the head coach of the Indiana Fever; guest speaker Colts quarterback Andrew Luck; and presenters Colts safety, Mike Adams; IndyCar Driver Ed Carpenter; and Indiana Fever forward Tamika Catchings. 

There were also many special guests that introduced and announced the winners of the many categories.  Athletes were recognized in all sports, usually three nominees of each gender were selected in each of the categories.   Categories included everything from cross country to golf, from volleyball to wrestling, from swimming to football. A total of 18 sports were covered.  Each recipient received a trophy for their accomplishment.  Upon receiving their awards, the winners would say a few words. 

The state championship Trojan football team was up for Team of the Year, and Coach Eric Moore was nominated for Coach of the Year.

Senior Jackson Hohlt said, “I am honored to be invited.  It has been a great year, and this is a great way to cap it off.” 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 8.33.24 AM
Coach Eric Moore stands with his Coach of the Year Award.

As the evening continued, the moment came for Coach of the Year.  The nominees were Angela Berry White (Brebuf Jesuit Girls Soccer), Eric Moore (Center Grove Football), Chris Plumb (Carmel Girls and Boys Swimming), and Rick Risinger (Heritage Christian Girls Basketball).  All nominees had winning seasons with many state and national records set.  

Coach Moore received the Coach of the Year award.

Senior Cameron Tidd said, “I am very happy to be here and glad Coach Moore invited me.   It has been really fun and will definitely be a great memory to have my whole life.” 

Coach Moore’s motto for his football team over the football season was the phrase OneMore. After the undefeated 14-0 perfect season, the Trojan Pride had One More reason to celebrate a victorious season with the best coach in the state.  

If you want to see more of what took place at the Indy Sports Award Show, go to:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/04/28/indiana-sports-award-winners/83662166/