Robotics Team Reaches Out in the Community

Sarah Morrow spends a lot of her time at the shelter with the cats. This kitten named Flannel was adopted shortly after their visit.
    “I really connected with one of the dogs that was there. His name was Ed, and he was adopted shortly after our visit,” Isaiah Vaught said.
    Senior Emma Franco, chose to take J. Cole on a walk.

By: Malaya Lee

Red Alert Robotics has started spending their Fridays with the cuddly creatures at the Humane Society of Johnson County. Seniors Emma Franco and Sarah Morrow brought this idea to the team three weeks ago and since then they have been bringing different groups of five to the Humane Society each  week. This outreach event helps the students assist their community and gives the cats and dogs attention and care.

“Being there with the animals was extremely fun because not only was I playing with cute dogs, but I could see what I was doing really helped to improve the conditions of the animals,” junior Isaiah Vaught said.

Typically the team volunteers only at robot related events, so this is a new way to show their dedication to their community. Also, it has really helped the individuals attending bond with each other.

“I really enjoyed being able to go and spend time with other members of the team, and being able to volunteer

Senior Max Newport takes George on a short walk. George was adopted while Red Alert was at the shelter.

and give back to my community,” Morrow said. “Also, cuddling with cute cats made it extra fun.”

Not everyone has been able to volunteer and help the animals. The shelter only allows people 16 and older to volunteer, so many of the freshmen and sophomores cannot yet attend.

“When I found out that I was not going to be able to go to the animal shelter, I was very disappointed,” freshman Veronica Strange said. “I was really looking forward to being able to be around the animals and to help the shelter in any way that I could.”

Some of the students are allergic to dogs and/or cats. However, these allergies didn’t stop junior Colin Scifres from trying to help at the shelter.

“I made sure to take allergy medicine beforehand, but it wasn’t very effective,” Scifres said. “I probably will not be going again.”

Junior Colin Scifres isn't able to cuddle up with the pets, due to his allergies.
    Junior Colin Scifres isn’t able to cuddle up with the pets, due to his allergies.

The team is planning on continuing to help shelters weekly.

If you would like to volunteer at the Humane Society of Johnson County, you can get more information on their website at hsjc.org under the Get Involved section.