Boys soccer starts season with wins

Jordan Boyd | Sports Editor 

With eight returning seniors and no freshmen on the varsity boys soccer team this season, the team’s experience has led to early-season success. Their first two matches against Bloomington North High School and Perry Meridian High School resulted in two wins: 2-0 vs. Bloomington N. and 1-0 vs. Perry Meridian.

“Our preseason training is already paying off this season,” Jackson Neal ‘19 said. “We have been able to do big things in the past and I think this is one of the best teams to come through this program so far.”

This season’s team is already confirming expectations of success.  Dawson Raymond ‘18 and Colin Parry ‘20 scored the goals in the team’s opening win over Bloomington North with Parry scoring the team’s only goal in the 1-0 victory over Perry yesterday.

These two early season wins are raising excitement among the players already.

“I am really excited for this season,” Jacob Cooley ‘18 said. “I firmly believe that we have the most talented group of upperclassmen in the state of Indiana and if we put in the effort on and off the field, we can be unstoppable.”

The team is looking forward to the rest of the season and have faith in one another to do big things this year.

“With most of the seniors playing together–and even some of the juniors– since we were eight years old, we have all grown up together and bonded our whole lives,” Cooley said. “This season is kind of our last ride together and we all want to finish it off with a state championship.”

With their sights set on a state championship at the end of the season, the boys soccer team is ready for what it will take to get there.

The varsity soccer team will be hosting the annual Trojan Classic tournament this Saturday, taking on Elkhart Memorial, coached by former boys soccer coach Todd Sheely, at 11 a.m.