STUGO hosts annual fall workshop

Emily Hobson | Staff Writer

On Friday, STUGO members participated in a leadership workshop during the school day, which gave the students information on leadership and prepared them for the year ahead.

“[The workshop] really benefits students by teaching them leadership and communication skills,” STUGO sponsor Lindy Scott said. “This is really preparing us for the next big workshop coming up.”

While the workshop helped STUGO prepare for the one in the spring, it also taught the members leadership skills that will help them for the rest of the year in their classes and their lives.

“Some of the things we are working on in here are that leaders are leading different leadership activities. Not everybody knows each other, so they got separated into different groups with people they may not know,” junior Kristen Garrison said.

For students to become comfortable with leadership outside of their friend group was an important experience during the seminar. It prepared students for leadership, and for some students, it was personal.

“I saw how others did [the workshop] and my sister did it when she went here, so I wanted to carry on the tradition,” junior workshop organizer Madison Gloyeske said.

Although the workshop was just a trial run, it helped the club prepare for the bigger workshop that involves other schools in the MIC.

“We are going to be doing these same activities in the bigger workshop coming up, so it is preparing them ahead of time on what to expect,” STUGO sponsor Jessica Goodman said. “This workshop is meant to prepare them to be leaders throughout the regular school day, not just workshops.