Extracurriculars host Halloween celebrations this week

Emmi Brown

In costume, senior Brinna Porat hands out candy to trick-or-treaters at last year’s Robotics Trunk or Treat event.

Ava Hoover, Staff Writer

Halloween is next Monday, and to celebrate the arrival of the holiday, several extracurriculars at Center Grove will be hosting festive events for the public.

Trick or Treat with Trojans

Oct. 26

Student Activity Center

Trick or Treat with Trojans is tonight from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. All children up to 8th grade are welcome to come, wear their halloween costumes and get some treats. All CGHS athletic teams will be passing out candy to the trick-or-treaters. 

“I think this will be a fun event for our community and our athletic teams,” assistant athletic director Katie Fisher said.

Robotics Trunk or Treat

Oct. 29

Innovation Center

On Saturday at 2 p.m. there will be a Red Alert Robotics Trunk or Treat. All ages are welcome to this event. It will include games, unique cars, candy and robots. In addition, the Robotics team is using the event to introduce young people to Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) pathways.

“It’s a great way to reach out to our community and make an impact and get kids engaged with our team, get them in our shop, show them our programs and at the same time, introduce them to different STEAM careers,” Robotics student leader Brinna Porat said. “We have the fire station, we have science trunks with different information about that and different organizations and colleges there for them to learn about that. It’s just a really good way to interact with our community.”

Trick or Treat for Cans

Oct. 31 

CG Neighborhoods

Trick or Treat for Cans will be Halloween from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.. This is a charity event rather than a student event. StuGo members are going to different neighborhoods and hanging flyers and asking for canned food. 

“On Halloween, [StuGo] will go to their houses,” community service committee chair Lillian Groves said. “They’ll either leave the cans by the door or they’ll be like they’re trick or treating and grab the cans. We’re going to a place called Interchurch Food Pantry in Franklin. It’s kind of a new place, so it’ll help all the families that need it.”

So far, the neighborhoods participating include: Eagle Trace, Forest Hills, Kensington Grove, Hickory Stick, Kerrington Proper, Morningside, Woodfield, Whispering Trails, Somerset, Windsong II, Fair Oaks, Makenna Ridge and Barrington West. Residents of these neighborhoods can set aside non-perishable goods for StuGo members to collect on Halloween night.