Foreign Language Honor Societies learn traditional folk dances

Aaron Toland | Staff Writer

Last Thursday, members of several foreign language clubs learned folk dances in the Media Center. Members of Spanish National Honor Society, French National Honor Society, French Club and German Club were all present.

Former eighth grade science teacher Mrs. Fohey instructed students in a variety of traditional dances from different countries. Fohey taught students the national dance of Venezuela, a fisherman’s dance from Japan and dances from Ireland, Jamaica, Bolivia and France.

Students went to the event for a variety of reasons.

“I went because it sounded like fun and the French teacher said we would have a good time,” said French National Honor Society and French Club member Kyleigh Miklos. Of all the dances, her favorite dance was a French dance in which students got into groups of three.

Freshman and French Club member Natalie Bender attended to spend time with friends. “ I went because I have some friends in foreign language classes, and I thought it’d be something fun to try,” said Bender. “The best part was everyone just working together and laughing at our mistakes doing the dancing and just having fun as a group.”

No matter what a student’s reason, the activity provided foreign language students the opportunity to broaden their cultural experiences while having fun.