Girls Basketball Faces Ben Davis in MIC Matchup

Sam Findley, Staff Writer

Center Grove takes on Ben Davis today at noon. After a 48-22 win over Perry Meridian, Center Grove will look to push their conference record to .500 with next Friday’s match up against No. 10 Lawrence North the only other MIC game left on the schedule. 

Head Coach Kevin Stuckmeyer says the key to a win against Ben Davis is taking care of the basketball and keeping them out of the paint. 

“Composure with the basketball — we need to take care of it and not turn it over.  Don’t let them speed us up.  We need to keep them from getting to the basket and getting easy buckets around the rim,” Stuckmeyer said. 

Freshman Aubrie Booker, who averages 6.9 points and one steal per game, says the team has focused on composure all week during practice. 

“This whole week leading up to the Ben Davis game, our practices have been focused on being composed, strong with the ball, relaxed and poised when we are on offense,” Booker said. “Making less turnovers will be the difference of a loss or a win in this game so we are really going to be focusing on taking our time and making the best decision.” 

Senior Mary Wilson, who scored her 1000th career point in the Perry Meridian game, has carried the Center Grove offense through much of the season. Wilson has averaged 16 points per game against Ben Davis in her career. But sophomore Ella Hobson says if the team wants to win, they can’t expect Wilson to do it alone.

“When we all play together and are involved–those are the best games we play and when we get it done,” Hobson said. “It’s not one person trying to take over the game, getting everyone involved and getting good shots”

Center Grove has struggled with rebounding, pulling down 25 rebounds per game. Freshman Audrey Annee believes that rebounding will be a key for the game. 

“[The key to winning will be] communication and finishing every defensive possession with a rebound, not giving Ben Davis multiple opportunities to score in a possession,” Annee said. 

Center Grove will also have to stop Ben Davis’ Natalie Howard. Howard averages a team high 13.4 points per game, along with 4.7 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. 

“Howard is a tremendous player, difficult to limit.  It will be a difficult task, but we have to not let her get deep in the paint or get offensive rebounds,” Stuckmeyer said. “MIC wins against a quality opponent are always very meaningful. It would give us a chance to finish at the top end of the MIC and would give us a signature win over high level opponents and momentum toward the stretch run.”