Dance Refined

Written by: Isabel Burks

An indescribable feeling of adrenaline, emotion, and nerve overcomes freshman Sarah Chan as she waits backstage to be called on. No one but dancers can understand it. At this point she is reminded of why she dances.

Chan loves dance. She has been attending The Dance Refinery for 13 years. She dances competitively and is in the highest group at her studio, AIM Senior.

“The year I moved up to AIM Senior, I was so excited,” Chan said. “Dancing with the best dancers in the studio was like a dream come true.”

A natural competitor, Chan she excels at that aspect of dancing.

“In general, I’m a very competitive person. And in dance, even more so. It’s like I transform into a whole different person who plans on winning,” Chan said.

When she is not at school, at cheer, or doing homework, chances are that Chan is at the studio working. She dances for almost twenty-two hours a week, but the tough schedule is worth the many opportunities dancing has brought her.

“Through dance, I’ve been able to meet and learn from famous and very accomplished dancers, and even some who I know will be famous one day,” Chan said.

Dance has taught Chan  several important lessons; lessons that  will stay with her forever.

“I’ve learned many lessons that I think are beneficial, and I feel that the most important has been teamwork,” Chan said. “Without teamwork, our group would be nowhere, and we would have nothing accomplished.”

Being able to bond with her dance group has been highly beneficial to Chan both socially and dance wise.

“The bonds and relationships I have with my dance friends are unlike any others.  We’ve been through life-changing events together; we’ve sweat, cried, and laughed together. That’s really important for the foundation of a group. Everyone knows, loves, and accepts one another,” Chan said.

Time management and sacrifices are necessary for a dancer half as dedicated as Chan.

“I am extremely busy, but I am always excited to go to dance,” Chan said. “With all my activities added up, I am forced to work every free moment, stay up into the morning times, and turn down fun activities with friends, but when I dance, I know that it’s all worth it.”

Dance is now a normal activity in Chan’s life, and she can not imagine her life without it.

“Without dance, I would be physically less active, have too much time on my hands, be less wise, and be way less happy,” Chan said.

Chan plans on dancing throughout high school, and she hopes to at least minor in dance in college. Dance is her passion; she believes she will love it for the rest of her life.