Publications: Behind the Scenes

Video and Story by: Ryan Stemle

It’s an interesting classroom setting. Room 122, or the “Publications” classroom, is the place where the yearbook, news magazine, CGTV, and website are produced. Publications is a fine arts class that is available at Center Grove. There are around 90 creative students currently in publications, each with a different role.

“I write website articles, I read for CGTV and I tweet sporting events,” senior Will Boston said. “I enjoy having a variety of responsibilities.”

Bailee Leathers and Jessica Kelly are in charge of a thriving publications website.

“Our website has taken off well. We have sports to thank for our popularity, and of course all of our writers,” Leathers said. “With that being said, we are anxious to keep growing.”

Tori Mickel is a leading contributor to the production of CGTV. She works on editing and producing the daily and weekly announcements each day.

“Every day we come in and we film the announcements,” Mickel said. “We have to make sure everything is edited before we put it out for the school to view.”

Some major contributors behind the scenes of CGTV are the camera work, teleprompter production, and lighting. Jackson Williams, a lead camera man for announcements, talks about his role in this successful production team.

“I just make sure everything runs smoothly,” Williams said.  “I operate the camera, and I make sure everyone looks good.”

The school yearbook is created by this staff, and making the final deadline is probably the toughest objective for them. Senior Lauren Rau plays a pivotal role in making yearbook spreads.

“It is tough, but that is why I love it,” Rau said. “Everyone plays a big part in our success and we love working together as a team.”

Melissa Warner and Casey Tedrow are the advisors for this class.

“We are the advisors, but mostly it is the students who run the class,” Warner said. “It is a unique class that allows students to be creative in many different ways.”

If you would like to join Publications for next school year, you can apply by clinking on the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MAy_0pTUVAI_J-UKHmdLLAXoEC1auoPz5uNcPfDXNjs/viewform?c=0&w=1