Flying to a pilot’s license

Flying to a pilot’s license

March 22, 2024

CGTV Broadcast | March 22, 2024

March 22, 2024

Martial arts maniac

Martial arts maniac

March 20, 2024

Tattoo training

Tattoo training

March 19, 2024

BPA Awards Recap

BPA Awards Recap

March 15, 2024

Twin Tales

Twin Tales

March 14, 2024

No Boundaries: Using Technology from Robotics to Music

Since his arrival at Center Grove High School during his sophomore year, Jiawei Chen has been involved in many unique activities.

“I find something I like to do and try to do it as well as I can,” Chen said.

Chen was previously a part of the Robotics Team and has been involved in both Quiz Bowl and Academic Super Bowl. He picked up two new activities his senior year, Marching Band and Indoor Percussion.

“Lapka kept asking me to come,” Chen said.  “There was an opening for the synth position, and it turned out to be a really amazing experience.”

As a synth player, Chen also has control of the soundboard, which balances the entire pit and the wind soloists.  Needing to be two places at once, Chen wrote a program that allowed him to do just that.

“I was able to directly control the soundboard using the buttons on my keyboard,” Chen said.  “It required a bit of hacking to get it to work.”

Because of Chen’s previous commitment to Robotics, he was not able to be a part of Marching Band and Indoor Percussion for longer than a year.  However, Chen is not regretful.

“If I had started earlier, it probably wouldn’t have made me the person I am today, and I feel like I really enjoyed that year more,” Chen said.  

Chen has also created his own club, Coders with Class.

“The idea started back in sophomore year,” Chen said.  “I had some help from some friends, and we started a programming group.”

The club initially did not gain much popularity, due to not many students knowing how to code.  Chen then decided to broaden the club’s horizons.

“We settled on making a club that not only focused on programming, but also on the artistic aspects of software development,” Chen said.

Since Coders with Class’s founding, Chen and his team have been busy working on a variety of projects.

“We’ve been working hard on a game that will be released online,” Chen said.  “And we’re also working on getting a website published.”

Chen plans on making his passion for technology his career, and he wants to study computer science. With a broad start in so many activities, the groundwork has been laid.