Senior Basketball Players Say Goodbye

By Jackson Williams and Bryce Brown

Every year in every athletic program at Center Grove, there is a night to honor the seniors who have put in four years of work in order in further along a program. In a school of 2400, being able to have the opportunity to have a senior night is quite an accomplishment. Boys Basketball’s Senior Night happened on Tuesday, and it included two publications students. Jackson Williams and Bryce Brown have spent four years in the high school basketball program, and it was their night to be honored.

Jackson Williams:

Center Grove Basketball has been a part of my life since I was two years old. I have been coming to Center Grove Basketball practices since my dad was an assistant here for Coach Zych. Playing my final game in the Vandy Gym was bittersweet in the fact that Center Grove Basketball has been a part of my life since I was a little boy and now I can see it slowly coming to an end.

The memories I have made with this group of seniors has been memories I will remember forever. I would say the most special part of this senior class is the fact that we have been friends and played together for 10 years. No one has transferred in, it has been this group of seniors and I think that is what makes last night special when all five seniors started the game.

After winning the game and taking pictures with family, friends, and other players, I went into the locker room to get ready to leave and as I talked to the other seniors I saw 10 years flash right in front of me. Senior Night caused me to examine my basketball career with this group of seniors, and I can remember playing Indy Hoops travel leagues with these seniors in second grade, being the USSA State Runners Up, playing middle school basketball the last 10 years with this group of seniors for anything, our bond is truly a brotherhood.

Bryce Brown:

Not only did we give everything to the program, but we gave everything we had. Center Grove basketball has been a part of my life since I can remember. I grew up loving the game. It has held a special place in my heart for many years, and it will continue to be special for many years to come.

My love for the game grew strongest on Senior Night on Tuesday. Everything that I had worked for up to that point seemed to come full-circle. Walking out to my name being announced, and interlocking arms with my mom and dad, is a feeling that can never be replicated. It felt like I was on top of the world.

Having all 5 seniors start the game made it even more memorable. These are the kids that I have grown up playing with since 2nd grade. Seeing Trevor, Sam, Drew and Jackson on the court alongside me was one of the best moments in my life. From all the tournaments we played growing up, to all the memories we’ve made as lifelong friends, this moment seemed to top them all.

This group will stay together for years and years to come. We share a special bond that not many other teams can say they have. Not to be cliché, but it’s a true brotherhood. Senior Night seemed to encompass everything we’ve been through as a group.

As for the game, we could not have found a better way to win. With 2 seconds left, Drew hit a 25 foot, 3 pointer to win the game. How else could we end our last home game? It seemed as though it was destiny.

I will never forget all of the memories this group has shared. We overcame obstacles to become better players and people. All of the years playing with these guys will never be taken for granted. I wouldn’t trade them for anything.