Drama department introduces new director

Dylan Godsave and Tori Sykes | Website Editors

French teacher Ashlee Vitz is the new drama club director at CG, but she’s not new to the acting world.

Vitz has a theatre background, with her first degree actually in theatre performance.

“I have been on stage since I was five years old. The stage is my soul, it’s my life,” Vitz said. She directed at her old high school, at a community theatre in Clay County, and has professional credits at the Children’s Museum in Indy and with Crossroads Repertory Theater.

Right now Vitz does not want to drastically modify the culture for the upcoming year.

“I think it is really important to get to know the people of a program before you start making any changes,” Vitz said. “I want to get to learn what everybody has to bring to the table and what their vision is.”

Vitz believes it is important to pick a show that audience members can relate to. Her goal is to put on a few shows a year, some with big name recognition like “The Wizard of Oz,” this year’s musical, and some that are not as well known but are more challenging both acting and technically.  

“It is also important to give students the ability to experience things that are out of the mainstream,” Vitz said.

Vitz’s love for theater is also reflected in her personal life.

“[My husband and I] fell in love doing theater together,” Vitz said. “He understands theater schedules completely and is 100 percent supportive […] I am sure I will get a ton of ideas from him for the show.”

Vitz found a passion for drama at a very young age. It was not until she was apart of theater that she felt she fit in somewhere.

“Everyone has a place in theater and I think that’s why I’ve always been so in love with it. When I was really young I did not have a lot of friends and theater was the first place I finally felt a sense of acceptance,” Vitz said. “No matter what your talent is there is a place for you and a family for you.”