Marching band debuts new show, “In Every Direction”

Jackson Gardner | Website Editor

For the past several weeks, the marching band has been preparing their show “In Every Direction,” a performance inspired by all of the directions people can go in life.

Directed by Kevin Schuessler and Joe Lapka, the show includes four different numbers: “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” “One Day I’ll Fly Away,” “You Are Wherever Your Thoughts Are” and “NO one To kNOW one”.

“I think the music this season is really cool. I really enjoy the concept and I think it’s different and unique compared to what we have done in the past,” junior synth player Corey Combs said. “In the beginning of the show you can hear a voice over saying different directions and the whole show is kind of centered around the concept of like directions and going different places.”

The band has been practicing their routine since early July under the leadership of drum major Jenna Hans.

“I liked last year’s theme because it took a moment to appreciate each section of the band but I also really enjoy our theme this year because it’s more ambiguous,” said Hans. “It’s not something that you might understand immediately.”

Hans, along with the two other drum majors, seniors Tara Isanaka and Aaliyah Perdieu, have been getting used to their new head positions. Although this is Hans’ second year as drum major; both Isanaka and Perdieu are new to being drum majors.

“It is definitely different being a drum major than a regular member,” Perdieu said. “You have a lot more responsibilities; a lot more than you would being a normal marcher. They put a lot of pressure on you because you are in the position where you are working in the middle of students and staff. It’s a lot of fun but also a lot of pressure.”

That pressure creates challenges but the drum majors know the rewards of the season will come.

“Being drum major definitely comes with a lot of stress, but it will definitely pay off. I’m very excited for competitions to start and I believe we will have a great season,” Hans said.

The band will debut their show tonight during the football game at halftime continue to prepare their routine for competition season which begins on Sept. 15 at Brownsburg High School.