Football looks for redemption against MIC rival Ben Davis

Ben Greller | Staff Writer

Tonight, the football team will go on the road to take on No. 3 Ben Davis at 7 p.m. The Trojans will look to redeem themselves after suffering their worst home loss since 2006 last year against the Giants.IMG_7410 copy

Last year’s game featured Ben Davis’s future Mr. Football Reese Taylor, who is now playing at IU. Taylor dominated the game, completing 28-31 passes for four touchdowns, which translated to a 40-7 victory. The Giants would go undefeated and win the state championship.

“Last year we didn’t really know what we were doing. They dominated the line of scrimmage the entire game,” senior offensive lineman AJ Wiese said. “This year we know that we are coming back with more experience and we really hope to win the battle up front.”

Winning the battle at the line of scrimmage will be essential as Center Grove will look to slow down Ben Davis’ potent offense and senior running back Delbert Mimms. Mimms has already put up nine touchdowns for the Giants this season and is deemed one of the best running backs in the state. The powerful running back recently committed to Vanderbilt University.

IMG_6578 copy“We will have to key on Mimms, he is a good running back that has both power and speed,” senior defensive back Nik Browning said. “They also have a dual-threat quarterback and extremely fast receivers.”

On the other side of the ball, senior offensive lineman Lucas Doyle compares Ben Davis’ defense to the teams they have seen this year.

“The Ben Davis defense is really like anything we have seen this year. They have great athletes like Warren and Carmel, but also have a lot of strength like New Pal,” Doyle said. “We will really have to grind out yards tonight like we usually do. Big plays will be limited for our offense because of the athletic difference in teams, but in the end it ultimately comes down to the fact that the tougher team will win.”

Both teams are coming off conference wins as the Trojans took down rival Carmel 17-7, and Ben Davis dominated Pike last Friday 40-19.

“Their offense may be one of the best we have seen this year just because they posses so many weapons,” head coach Eric Moore said. “We will have to force turnovers and bring guys down in the open field. They spread you out and get 1-on-1 match ups down the field and have guys that can go up and get it.”