Center Grove football team hosts Louisville Trinity in rematch of last year’s overtime loss

Ethan Gable
Senior center Payton Hutchins looks to snap the ball in last week’s game in their 28-10 win against the Patriots.

Momentum is on the side of the Trojans’ football team after a 28-10 win over the Oakland Patriots in Ray Skillman Stadium last week. Tomorrow night, they face a familiar foe in the Trinity Shamrocks of Kentucky, who defeated the Trojans 29-28 in a double-overtime heartbreaker last season.

“They beat us last year,” senior defensive lineman Nate Johnson said. “We have revenge on our mind. That’s all we can think about right now. We are going to go out there and whoop them.”

Senior wide receiver Noah Coy, who had two receiving touchdowns against Tennessee’s third-ranked Oakland last week, shares Johnson’s sentiment as getting a win back over the Shamrocks would rectify the game that snapped the Trojans’ 30-game win streak. 

“It’s definitely been more energetic because you want to get that game back,” Coy said. “We’re just focused on doing our job. If we do our job and play our game, we’re going to end up with a win. There is obviously a little more motivation because of that bad taste in our mouth from last year.”

Johnson and Coy’s confidence in their team is not without justification. The Trojans have been challenged every week thus far with a nationally-ranked, out-of-state team, beginning with a 27-10 loss to No.11 St. Edward in Canton, Ohio. However, for senior defensive linebacker Kaden McConnell, playing top-ranked teams only serves as an advantage for the Trojans as they go deeper into the season.

“[Trinity is] just a dime of a dozen,” McConnell said. “They’re just one of many. I think our defensive line is going to do very well against their offense. They’re not as big as the previous two weeks, and I think [the defensive line] is going to do some damage in the backfield.” 

As for the offensive side of the ball, a balanced attack of running and receiving will be the best way of moving the ball to the goal posts. 

“We are a little weak at running back and linemen,” Coy said. “But, we are definitely going to try and run the ball. Throwing the ball has helped us open [up] the run game, too, so just staying sharp on all facets and bringing a balanced attack is what will help us.”

For a lot of teams, out-of-state competition would be an anomaly, but for the Trojans, it is just another week. The preparation of playing teams like St. Edward, Oakland and Trinity will only serve to prepare them for the state tournament and a possible fourth state championship in a row. 

“We are having some good competition now,” McConnell said. “I think it will prepare us very well for the in-state teams that might not have the same level of athletes, so to speak, as the other out-of-state teams.”