Trojans defeat reigning state champion team No. 4, Ben Davis

Jordan Boyd | Yearbook Editor

With the Trojans clinging to a 14-8 lead midway through the third quarter and Ben Davis methodically driving down the field, Drew Green stepped into the passing lane and intercepted Giants quarterback LeGrande Swanson, returning the ball to the Ben Davis 39-yard line.

“I was kind of surprised I caught [the interception] to be honest,” Green said. “I felt like everything kind of froze for a second and then I was off to the end zone. Almost made it too, kind of disappointed I couldn’t score.”

AAACC88E-C732-4825-87C4-C907F14B9F04Four plays later, sophomore running back Carson Steele bounced to the outside for a 12-yard touchdown run, his third score of the night. After Steele found the end zone again on the 2-point conversion, Center Grove led 22-8.

Steele scored all four touchdowns for the Trojans as they defeated reigning state champion, No. 4 Ben Davis 29-22 to improve to 2-2 overall and 2-1 in the MIC.

“It feels amazing to come out and help my team to move the ball and to beat a great team,” Steele said.

Steele’s first touchdown of the evening came after back and forth possessions throughout the first quarter. The rainy game seemed bleak until Steele’s short combination of runs added up to a touchdown with 1:18 left in the first quarter. The team’s early lead was soon toppled by a Ben Davis touchdown combined with a two point conversion at the beginning of the second quarter, putting the Giants ahead 8-7.

Within the next three minutes, Steele scored his second touchdown of the evening with a PAT by Luke Eckert to put the Trojans ahead of the Giants for good.

“Jumping out to an early lead tunes everyone up and gets everyone hyped,” senior offensive lineman Lucas Doyle said.

Although the Trojans began the second half with the lead, they didn’t back down and continued to move the ball effectively on the field with a win in sight.

961037A4-90A8-4A63-BB42-6C0CAFE2C76C“We wanted to turn our season around because of how bad [Ben Davis] beat us last year,” quarterback Jackson Moore said. “We were embarrassed after that and we wanted to get our pride back.”

Center Grove will take on MIC opponent and No. 10 North Central next Friday.

*Photos are from last week’s game against Carmel.