Flying to a pilot’s license

Flying to a pilot’s license

March 22, 2024

CGTV Broadcast | March 22, 2024

March 22, 2024

Martial arts maniac

Martial arts maniac

March 20, 2024

Tattoo training

Tattoo training

March 19, 2024

BPA Awards Recap

BPA Awards Recap

March 15, 2024

Twin Tales

Twin Tales

March 14, 2024

Trojan Update with Ben Greller

Each week sports writer Ben Greller will have updates on last week’s sporting events, as well as previewing this week’s matchups. Look for Greller’s update every Monday to get you ready for each week’s big games.

Football

Last Friday, the Trojans dominated Franklin Central. They were expected to do so and ended the night raising the sectional title for the 8th straight year. It has become the norm for the Trojans to win sectionals, but they will be playing a much harder opponent this Friday when they face off against Avon, the team that knocked them out of last year’s regional championship. Many reporters see the road ending right here for this year’s Trojans.

IMG_1613The Orioles are talented. They have a great running back in Sampson James, a state-leading wide receiver in Jalen Peterson and a dominant defensive line. I believe the Trojans will be able to offset these strengths that Avon brings. James, a top 10 RB, has been hurt recently and has seen limited action, and CG’s offensive line has been improving each game over the regular season and playoffs. Avon QB Henry Hesson will not have the time he has had to throw to Peterson, who typically runs deep routes and burns defensive backs. This is exactly the type of game that Coach Eric Moore wins.

Many think this is a game that will end CG’s season, but I think that is incorrect. I predict a large crowd at Ray Skillman stadium going crazy as the Trojans beat the Orioles by limiting big plays and controlling the line of scrimmage.

Girls Basketball

The Lady Trojans have a hard week ahead of them. They start out with No. 14 Brownsburg Monday night, then face defending state champion Warren Central on Thursday. The Bulldogs will have a hard time slowing down the senior backcourt duo of Ella Thompson and Emma Utterback, as will any team. In my opinion, Thompson and Utterback combine to make one of the strongest duos in the state, if not the best. When you add in the outside shooters that the Trojans have, they will be victorious on Tuesday night.

The game will be a close one, but if Center Grove continues to dominate defensively and rebound, they will win in a close one. As for Thursday, the Lady Trojans will have an uphill battle as they will have to go up against the No. 1 team in the state. The Warriors have a monstrous center in Michigan State-commit Cydni Dodd who stands at 6’5” tall. She will provide a problem down low for the Trojans, but if they are able to rebound at a high level and knock down shots, they have a chance for huge upset.

Boys Basketball

The boys’ basketball team opened up practice on Monday. The Trojans have high expectations this year after being knocked out in regionals the past two years. They will be lead by top-15 recruit Trayce Jackson-Davis. The Trojans will be solid all around this year and it will be hard for teams to stop all of the weapons that are thrown at them. The team opens up their season on Nov. 20 against Franklin.

Boys and Girls Swimming and Diving

Both swim teams also started practice on Monday. Both teams will be looking to avenge a sectional loss in the past year. The boys’ team has a great shot at winning the sectional this year as they return top scorers in Tony Gibson, Brady Ferguson, Ben Clarkston and add in freshman Justin Xia.

The girls are also solid as they bring back Devin Trammel, Emma Pawlik, Gracie Marsh, Jess Holland and Molly Styles.

I think it will be a great year for both teams and both will have a shot at advancing multiple swimmers to the state meet. This season will also add on to longtime swim coach Jim Todd’s illustrious career.

Wrestling

Last Monday, the wrestling team officially started their season with their first practice. The Trojans will be solid this year even though they are losing all-time great Gleason Mappes and other contributors such as Jonah Hayes and Cory Heinrichs. First year coach Maurice Swain will look to continue the success seen last season. Alex Petro and Peyton Pruett will both be looking to make a run at the state tournament as they will be two of the Trojan’s top wrestlers.