Trojan Update with Ben Greller

Each week sports writer Ben Greller will have updates on last week’s sporting events, as well as previewing this week’s matchups. Look for Greller’s update every week to get you ready for each week’s big games.

Football

photo by Jordan Boyd

The Trojans did as I expected last week. Their pass rush and strong corner play guided them to a dominant win over a powerful Avon team. CG will be playing against a similar offense this week — No. 1 Warren Central. They have a powerful running back in Romeir Elliott, a strong-armed quarterback, and one of the best all-around athletes in Indiana high school sports history, David Bell. Personally, I think that the Warrior’s offense is the best in the state. They have such a great ability to make 20+ yard plays and when you combine that with their solid defense, they are an extremely tough team to beat. With all this being said, I think the Trojans will win. So many people have already put Warren in the state championship game in many things I have read online. This just isn’t giving the Trojans the respect they deserve. Center Grove held the Warriors to their lowest total this season in their first meeting. I know CG’s pass rush will be in full force and the offense will look to make long drives that keep the Warrior’s offense off the field. Lastly, I think special teams will be a major factor in this game and the advantage there should go to the Trojans. It is hard to bet against Eric Moore and his Trojans. The Center Grove community MUST be in full support this Friday.

Girls Swimming and Diving

The girls swimming and diving team has their first two meets of the year this week on Tuesday and Saturday. They will be swimming against Bloomington South on Tuesday and county rival Franklin on Saturday. Both matches will be hard matches for the Trojans, especially Franklin. Franklin advanced a swimmer or relay team in each event to the state championship last year after beating Center Grove in sectionals. Both teams will be a hard test, but expect the Trojans to scrap out points and give both teams a run for their money.

Girls Basketball

The girls basketball team had a rough week last week. They fell to No. 8 Brownsburg 54-48, using a late surge to make it a close ball game, and then fell to No. 1 Warren Central 58-34. Next up they have the Johnson County Tournament. I believe this week will be a pivotal point in the season; winning the county tournament should give Center Grove

Emily Rake looks to pass the ball during the team’s first game of the season against Plainfield. Photo by Calista Stafford

some momentum for the rest of their season, which is exactly what will happen. The Trojans will win the county tournament simply because they have the most talent. Their toughest opponent will be the Whiteland Warriors, but I don’t see them having much problem with any team in the county. The Lady Trojans have won the county championship the last two years, and you should expect nothing less this year.

Boys Basketball

The Boys basketball team will see their first bit of action on Thursday in a scrimmage against Brownsburg. It should be great to see the Trojans on the court once again and see them get ready for their game against Franklin on Nov. 20. The team will be without two returning varsity players, as well as several underclassmen, for the scrimmage and the opening two games of the season due to the football team’s success.