Junior looks to form new bowling club

Maggie Eley | Staff Writer

Junior Rowan Palmer took a family trip and ended up finding her passion for a new sport.

“When I was in Colorado we went out to go bowling just for fun,” Palmer said. “I saw people playing competitively and I thought that was interesting and became determined to get better at it.”

When she got back home, she began practicing and bowling more often.

“I would go out and bowl for fun, but then I began to get competitive about it,” Palmer said. “Then one day a guy at the bowling alley asked if I was interested in joining a league.”

Since then she’s been bowling for six years and competing in tournaments. Over the years she’s won first, second, and third place team awards and placed third in the 2016 Deloris M. Webb memorial Youth Tournament. She now wants to bring her passion and talent for the sport to CG.

“I want to start a bowling league here so I can introduce more people to the sport, and that bowling is more than just a fun activity to do on a Saturday,” Palmer said. “I am waiting to hear back from [Assistant Principal Tracy] McMahen, but I would love it if we could go out and practice once a week. ”

Indiana High School Bowling runs a competitive state-wide lead with conferences and a state tournament, with over 200 Indiana high schools fielding teams. Local schools such as Franklin Community, Greenwood, Whiteland and Perry Meridian already have teams competing. Center Grove used to have a team, but after 2006 they got rid of it. The previous members of the club had graduated and they could not find more people to make a team.

For Palmer, forming a bowling club just makes sense. In doing so, Palmer can create lifelong memories and new friendships.  

“The sport has connected me with so many new people and it’s something you can always get better at,” Palmer said. “I think it’s a club we should definitely start at Center Grove that students would benefit from.”