Visual Communications students design and create custom shirts

Brenna Emerson and Sophia Freeland | Staff Writers

Visual communications is an art class offered to students that teaches them the basics of creating digital artwork. As the second semester starts, students have been creating their own t-shirts.

Some of the projects students have completed include stickers, album covers, business cards and digital illustrations. The t-shirt project is one of the later projects in the year for the students.

“By this time students have an understanding of how to make different types of art digitally using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator,” Visual Communications teacher Kadi Miller said.

Making these custom t-shirts is an opportunity for students to be even more creative compared to previous projects.   

“For the t-shirts, it’s kind of a more open project where they get to pick the process they use to design a t-shirt that describes something about who they are,” Miller said.

Every student’s shirt is unique to themselves.  Junior Alyssa Terrell’s inspiration for her shirt comes from her passion for the outdoors.

“My design is a puzzle of nature. There are pieces missing with a quote in the empty spaces. The puzzle pieces are incorporated because I love puzzles,” Terrell said.

Not only do the students get to design and create their own custom t-shirt, but they also do a photoshoot in the shirts.

“With the photos we take, we do digital magazine covers and magazine layouts so they learn about that process as well throughout the project,” Miller said.

By completing this project students show off skills they’ve been learning in a creative way.