Five Star Trayce Jackson-Davis named McDonald’s All-American

Ben Greller | Staff Writer

Yesterday Trayce Jackson-Davis was named a McDonald’s All-American, the first Center Grove student to earn this honor.

Each January a comittee of writers and media members come together and select the nation’s top 24 high school basketball players. The 24 players are divided into two teams and play in the McDonald’s All-American game on Wednesday, March 28 at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta.

The McDonald’s All-American game has a rich history as it has featured some of basketballs brightest stars since the game was first played in 1977. Jackson-Davis will join names such as Lebron James, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kevin Garnett to have played in the game.

“Watching that game when I was little seeing Lebron dominate that game and now is one of the greatest in the NBA is actually pretty awesome to think about,” Jackson-Davis said. “It is such a high honor that took a lot of hard work that makes me want to work harder.”

With Jackson-Davis’ selection, Indiana has now produced at least one McDonald’s All-American in each of the last 10 years. Jackson-Davis is the 49th overall player from Indiana selected to play in the prestigious high school basketball event.

“Just to keep that streak alive I think is really cool. I feel as if some of the best players have played in that game and to be honored with that is just extremely humbling,” Jackson-Davis said.

Jackson-Davis is also committed to play basketball at Indiana University next fall. He is the 31st player in their history to be selected to play.

“Indiana has had a lot of great players, even Hall of Famers on that list. It makes you think of what you can get to with hard work, and I know that coaching staff will push me to that,” Jackson-Davis said.

Jackson-Davis has received an outpouring of support from the Center Grove community in wake of his selection. The community has watched him grow as a player, as well as help grow the basketball program.

“This is one of the highest honors you can receive as a high school basketball player,” basketball coach Zach Hahn said. “An unbelievable accomplishment. CG Basketball and the community have been fortunate to be a part of his fantastic high school career. It shows the growth and development of Trayce as well as the CG Basketball program. The volume in which he improved and matured over the last four years is a testament to his willingness to work.”