Prom Preview: What’s Hot This Season

In only six short years, Raelynn’s Boutique has grown to tenth largest Prom store in the United States.  Selling thousands of dresses, the staff at Raelynn’s knows all the hottest trends premiering this season.

“Velvet and lace are huge, especially with sleeves,” store owner Alison McDaniel said. “Two pieces are really big this year; I’m a mom, so I try to get relatively conservative two pieces.  Dresses with a high neck, mesh overlay, and polka dot have been selling really well. We’ve seen a lot of simple chiffon, one shoulder, and floral print gracing the red carpet; my staff and I try to bring what the celebrities are wearing straight to the racks.”

Others stores such as Macy’s, Von Maur, and Windsor seemed to showed many of the same trends. High-low, open-back, and sequins are all making a return from last season.  Side cutout around the midriff as well as side slits are increasingly popular.  Of course strapless and the classic sweetheart neckline are available with many colors and beading styles.

For those interested in adding a personal touch to their dress, up-cycling is always an option.  Up-cycling is the process of purchasing clothing items at resale or discount prices and refurbishing them to make them unique.  For example, one may add sequins, or alter the dress to make it sleeveless.  Up-cycling is good for the environment and a much less expensive option.

Raelynn’s held a fashion show in February featuring designer Jonathan Kane in order to preview Prom styles to the public.  Tessa Yeley ‘17 and Hannah Wilkerson ‘16 were models in this fashion show and are currently ambassadors who represent the store.

“My favorite style is mermaid.  It’s classic, but many designers have found ways to keep it trendy,” said Tessa Yeley ‘17.

While perusing through the store, it is obvious there are dresses to fit any style or size.  “Prom is so different from when I went almost 20 years ago,” said McDaniel.  “Girls now truly do what they want to do, and I love that.  You all aren’t afraid to be yourselves.  There isn’t just ‘one size fits all’ for prom style anymore.  I just love that I can play a part in helping you find a dress that makes you feel beautiful in your own unique way.”

Whether you buy, borrow, or up-cycle, love the dress and love yourself in it.