Pop Culture in the Age of Quarantine: What to Do This Month

After Governor Eric Holcomb announced that all Indiana schools will be closed until May 1, students are going to be spending more time at home than what was originally planned. Although there will be a combination of waiver days and eLearning days, many students will still have more time than they know what to do with. The Trojaneer editors would like to help by recommending some of our favorite shows, movies, books, songs and apps for students to dive into for the next six weeks. And, please, if we missed something, give your own recommendations in the comment section. We’re all in this together.

Olivia Oliver recommends:

Netflix:

“Scooby-Doo Where Are You” – We all remember our favorite mystery-solving teenagers. What better way to get your mind off of current events than to travel back to childhood and stop actual, visible monsters with the gang? It’s great to put on while doing e-learning, organizing your room or just hanging out, and with three seasons ready to play, it’ll keep you entertained for at least 4 or 5 days (3, if you’re ambitious like me).

“NCIS”

“Criminal Minds”

“Conspiracies”

Disney+:

“Avatar” – Need an escape from our world? Travel to Pandora, since you can’t travel to Disney’s recreation of it in Animal Kingdom (no, I didn’t cry when Disney closed, what are you talking about?). The stunning visual effects director James Cameron employs are sure to transport you out of our world and into an entirely new one. Whether you’re riding a Banshee, fighting alongside the native people of Pandora, or taking in the exotic wildlife, Avatar has plenty of adventure and beauty to boost your spirits. Plus, with a 3 hour running time, it’s great to help one of those boring quarantine days go by a little faster.

The MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

“Treasure Planet”

“Atlantis”

Books:

Jurassic Park” by Michael Crichton – Sure, COVID-19 is bad right now, but it could be worse. We could be stuck on Isla Nublar where velociraptors and carnosauruses run rampant. Read what inspired the acclaimed movie and dive deeper into the world of Jurassic Park. Crichton’s combination of science fiction and science fact will make you question whether or not the events are actually possible. Plus, the vivid and bone-chilling descriptions he gives might even make you glad to be stuck indoors and not outside, 65 million years in the past.

“The Bourne Identity” Robert Ludlum

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Songs:

“9 to 5” by Dolly Parton – Just because there’s barely anyone working nine to five doesn’t mean this Dolly Parton song is any less of a classic. It’s upbeat, relatable even for students and is great to do all of that pesky organization we’ve all been procrastinating until now.

“Casualty” by Lawrence

“Halo” by Beyoncé

“Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra

Apps:

Papa’s Freezeria – Want another way to travel back to your childhood? Download Papa’s Freezeria and get to blending milkshakes, ice cream and more. The levels are practically never-ending and with new flavors and extras to unlock, it’s sure to keep you busy all the way until May 1st.

Pinterest

Kelsey Osborne recommends:

Netflix:

“Patriot Act” – Learn about other global issues besides COVID-19 and have a few laughs while you do it with Hasan Minhaj’s political comedy show on Netflix. With 5 Volumes of 20 minute episodes to binge, it’s a fun way to stay informed. Plus you can watch Minhaj’s Deep Cuts on Youtube where he answers audience questions and brings out special guests.

“Grey’s Anatomy

“On My Block”

Disney+:

“Tangled” – It’s literally about a girl who was quarantined for 18 years, and Mother Gothel was keeping her from the kingdom of Corona. That plus the amazing songs like “When Will My Life Begin,” which will accurately describe your life for the next six weeks (minus the waking up at 7 a.m.), there’s nothing more perfect to watch.

“High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”

“Frozen 2”

Books:

“An Absolutely Remarkable Thing” by Hank Green – Hank Green, the brother of renowned Indiana author John Green, in his debut novel, wrote about an unprecedented global situation, sound familiar? Although instead of a pandemic, the protagonist April May stumbles upon aliens. If you love John Green, action/suspense, or anything paranormal, this is the book for you.

The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak

“Dead Letters” by Caite Dolan-Leach

“And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie

Songs:

“All I Want” by Olivia Rodrigo – From the hit Disney+ series High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, Rodrigo, who plays Nini, actually wrote and performed the song in episode four of the show’s first season. Along with being a popular sound on TikTok, the music video was released today, making it the perfect song to listen to while you sit at home.

“House Party” by Sam Hunt

“The Hype” by Twenty One Pilots

“God is a woman” by Ariana Grande

Apps:

Buzzfeed app – Ever wanted to know what kind of cookie you would be based off your favorite movies? Only Buzzfeed could provide you with those kinds of answers. Get the app to take hundreds of fun quizzes, and send the results to your friends to compare.

Duolingo

Headspace

Target app

Graham Kanwit recommends:

Netflix:

“The Irishman” – Now that you finally have 3 and a half hours to spare, I would highly recommend this masterpiece by Martin Scorsese. It might take a few sittings, but it’s a classic gangster flick and a total thrill ride with emotional payoff that’s worth the wait.

“Love is Blind”

“On My Block”

Disney+:

“The Clone Wars” – This beloved show is finally back and better than ever. Plus, Ahsoka Tano, the show’s breakout character, returns in this week’s episode. If you’ve never watched “Clone Wars” before, you’re missing out.

“Phineas and Ferb”

“The Mandalorian”

Books:

“Half-Blood Blues” by Esi Edugyan – This might be the best book I’ve ever read. The story follows musician Sidney Griffiths in two different time periods – the 1940s and the 1990s. It’s a harrowing tale of betrayal, lost love, and most importantly, Jazz.

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Albums:

“Madvillainy” by Madvillain – You might want to sit down for this one. “Madvillainy” is one of the few perfect albums I’ve heard in my life. Combine the world-class rapping of MF DOOM and production from Madlib and you have one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. Money back guaranteed if you don’t feel like Megamind while listening.

“After Hours” by The Weeknd

“Blonde” by Frank Ocean

Kanye West’s entire discography

“Lemonade” by Beyoncé

“4:44” by Jay-Z

“The Carters” by the Carters

Songs:

“Lost in the World” by Kanye West – It’s the greatest song of all time.

“Starman” by David Bowie

“Cold War” by Cautious Clay

“Crime Pays” by Freddie Gibs & Madlib

Apps:

Stack the Countries – A one-of-a-kind geographical education entertainment experience.