Football Team to Play for Regional Championship

The football team looks to win their 5th regional championship in a row tonight against the Warren Central Warriors. The Trojans (11-0), played WC (8-3) the first game of the season and won in a 42-38 shootout.

The Trojans were down 21-35 in the third quarter and rallied as a team to come back and win. Warren has won their last three games, including an impressive 28-21 win over St. Xavier (Ohio HS football powerhouse) and a 54-10 win over Southport last week. WC is still ranked 5th in the state because of the strength of their schedule; their only other losses were to Carmel and Colerain (another Ohio powerhouse).

The Warriors offense is one of the most complicated in the state because of their ability to change into multiple formations and because they are so successful running and passing the ball. WC is led by senior running back and slot receiver Jay Coe. Don’t let his 5’5, 160 lbs frame fool you. Coe has rushed for over 1000 yards this season and has 700 receiving yards with 27 total touchdowns. His speed in the open field makes him a threat to score on every play. The Warriors junior quarterback Zach Summeier has also had an impressive season with over 2000 passing yards and 13 touchdowns and has also rushed for over 300 yards and 6 touchdowns.

The key for the Trojans offense is to play fast with lots of energy to keep up with the scoring of Warren Central. In order to win, the Trojans must also be able to have a balanced attack running and throwing the ball. The last time they played, senior quarterback Joey Siderewicz was a perfect 8-8 passing with 152 yards and 2 touchdowns.  The offensive line must play their best game yet in order to win. Look for guards John Richardson and Nick Davis to open up holes for running backs Titus McCoy and Jackson Hohlt to run wild.

The key for the defense is to stop Jay Coe and put consistent pressure on Zach Summeier. Watch for defensive backs Connor Steeb and Tyler Pence to make big tackles and keep up their suffocating pass coverage. And look for Jovan Swann, Cameron Tidd, and Dan Root on the pass rush to force bad throws and to come up with big sacks. The conference rivalry and history between the two teams will make this an exciting, passionate game; the Trojans will be fighting for a chance to play at home one last time and to be one step closer to their ultimate goal.