Sutton’s Snapshots

Processed with VSCO with a5 preset

Written by Annie Gillum

Photos Courtesy of Shayfer Sutton

You can catch her behind a camera taking pictures like she has been doing it for years. Shayfer Sutton has the eye for capturing unique pictures and making a photo seem larger than life.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

“I really like being able to capture moments, whether that be things like a sunset or people at an event. Photography for me is art,” Sutton said.

She loves being able to think of new messages through her photos, and to create something interesting when she takes pictures.

“Anyone can hold a camera and take a picture, but it takes a different eye to create something interesting,” Sutton said.

Sutton has been doing photography class since junior year and since has mastered the art. She got her first digital camera in eighth grade but didn’t really get involved with photography junior year. She loves how many different opportunities there are with photography.

IMG_0420.PNG
Family portraits

“There is so much you can do with photos whether that be portraits, events, objects, or more artistic things,” Sutton said.

One of Sutton’s greatest achievements is her series project for photography class. She had to come up with different shoots to combine into one project as the final product. Shayfer had six shoots in one weekend for it and it included painted, hot wax and ink splatter with ink pen. At the end she put all of the photos she took on a wood stand. She entered her series project into the Scholastics competition in hope for a high ranking. Once they received her project, it was sent to Butler for judging. She earned a silver key award. Sutton also received another silver key for a portrait of Holyn Huizinga.

“I was so excited once I found out that both of my projects did well in the competition, and I felt really accomplished,” Sutton said.

Sam Meier Senior Photo

Sutton has been able to get so many opportunities because she does what she loves. She has shot senior pictures, family pictures, weddings, bridal showers, headshots for auditions, baby’s first year pictures and couples photos. Sutton usually takes the photos for around $100. She is saving up to buy new equipment for her work. She finds inspiration on the internet that gives her ideas for her own pictures.

“I have a lot of photographers on Instagram that I constantly get inspiration from,” Sutton said.

During one of the weddings Sutton shot, she partnered with Erin Feldmeyer. It was really hot the day of the wedding but also muddy. Since the wedding was on the Duke’s farm, they were just on dirt which was straight mud. The bridesmaids, groomsmen and even the bride and groom had mud all over their dresses and tuxes.

“The best part of everyone being muddy was that no one cared. The people were just happy to see the wedding,” Sutton said.

Processed with VSCO with t1 preset
Engagement Photos

Sutton enjoys being outside taking photos of nature and landscapes. She has more of a passion for taking pictures of people, but she still loves nature photos. Her love for taking these kind of photos makes her imagine photography being in her future but maybe not a full time job. She will continue to keep this as a hobby and to open up more of her time to take photos.  

“I will definitely continue this. I plan on majoring in business and minoring in photography. If it doesn’t end up being my full time job, I will still have it as a part time,” Sutton said.

Even though Sutton doesn’t plan on making a career out of photography, her artistic vision will continue to shine through the lens of her camera.

IMG_2441.jpeg