Marching band perfects “Light Motif” to win competition

Aislinn Chavali | Staff Writer

As the football season begins to wrap up, the marching band is polishing the finishing touches on their show. Since the beginning of the year, the band has put together “Light Motif” piece by piece, gradually adding to the final product.

“We learn movements, or parts with different themes, throughout the season. Early to mid October is usually when the full show is out. This year we only have four movements,” senior percussionist Sam Bauer said. 

In addition to the different movements in the show, the marching band must also learn drill, which is where and how to march.

IMG_8247 2

“We added the fourth movement two weeks ago and finished it last week with drill and music, but the show will continue to change in ways. The changes won’t be big until the end of the season,”Bauer said.

At the end of October, the marching band will compete in the state finals. They received fifth place last year with their show titled “Endangered,” and this year they hope to place higher.

“Doing so well makes me excited since it’s my last year to make grand national finals, which is the top fourteen marching bands in the nation,” Bauer said.

While this is certainly a big accomplishment, it won’t come easy. A lot of time and effort has to be put into perfecting the show. The marching band practices for two to two and a half hours every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday after school, and from nine in the morning to four in the afternoon for every Saturday that isn’t a competition day.

IMG_8211 2

“I do really love what I do. The hard work gives us opportunities and memories that aren’t common. Some of my favorite memories are when everyone is working their hardest to get better. It’s an amazing feeling,” Bauer said.

Come support your marching band this Saturday at the high school during their first competition which lasts all day. They start performing at 8:20 p.m.