Senior finds a creative way to involve technology in the sports world

Drew Green | Staff Writer

Zach Sheley, a senior at Center Grove, has found a creative way to put his technological talents to use in the sports world.

“It all started when Coach Dice came up to me in math class,” Sheley said. “He wanted to know if I wanted to film games and practices for football.”

Sheley agreed and joined the managerial staff for the football team. In partnership with the rest of the film managers, Sheley works throughout the football season to record and send out film to the team.Picture1

“Cameron Moore, Nick Andrews, and I do practices on Tuesdays,” Sheley said. “We unlock the press box and the film tower and begin filming practice.  Afterward, we come down and upload the film to Hudl for the team to review their plays.”

On top of the weekly practices, the team’s videographers have the responsibility of capturing film from Friday’s football games and feeding it back to the coaches and players in real time.

“There’s much more set up for games than practices,” Sheley said. “For all of the games, we film from both the end-zone angle and the sideline angle so we can take both angles and send it up to the coach’s iPads during the game.  They can see the film right after [a play] happens.”

After receiving the film of previous plays, coaches can make adjustments to their game plan allowing the Trojans to gain an edge over their opponents.  That tool provides the team another strategy and makes Sheley’s involvement critical to the action on the field.

“It really allows you to be a part of the team, mixing sports and technology to help out,” Sheley said. “I get to contribute without having the athletic ability normally needed to be a part of the team.”

Even without a uniform, Sheley has found a way to help his team win.  After high school, he is considering joining the managerial staff of his college team to continue the hobby he has made for himself.