Changes Within Central 9

Justin Hill ’16 and Mark Green ’17 walk to the buses that will take them to the C-9 facility.

For years, Center Grove Central Nine students have operated on a morning schedule, taking classes at C-9 before coming to the high school for afternoon courses. That is until the 2015-2016 school year. In addition to all of the CG construction, C-9 students also had to adjust to afternoon classes as opposed to the morning.

“The difference between a.m. and p.m. is we get more time when we are going to C-9,” Tristen Sexton ’16, an auto collision student at C-9, said. “We do not have to be there until 11:40. C-9 also gets out earlier than Center Grove; we get out at 2:20.”

Many of the C-9 students enjoy the later time. They claim that it is nice to leave at 2:20 as opposed to 2:50 because they have more time in their evening. Afternoon C-9 classes also give the students more time to get there; they are even able to eat lunch at the school during STaR. Students who can drive enjoy the freedom of lunch off campus before arriving at the C-9 facility.

Not all students enjoy the later time, though. While C-9 biology medication student Shelby Hooton ’17 said she was fortunate to have smaller classes, medical assisting student Alyce Habens ’16 said she had to adjust to much larger classes. After school sports are also an issue with the new afternoon time.

“If you have sports you have to drive back and you can’t just go home,” C-9 EMT student Maegan Trulock ’16 said. “It is just kind of a nuisance, driving back and forth.”

For better or for worse, Center Grove Central Nine students now have classes after STaR instead of at the start of first period.

Visit the Central Nine website for more information at: http://central9.k12.in.us

C-9 students gather outside the East Gym to wait for the buses to take them to the Central 9 facility.