Track Season Begins with a Bang

(no pun intended)

Both the boys and girls track teams competed in the indoor MIC meet at the University of Indianapolis last night. The girls team finished in second place behind Warren Central while the boys finished in 4th. Freshman J.T Hodges turned on the jets in the last 400 meters of the 2-mile race to earn a 1st place finish in the 3200 meter run.

“J.T Hodges stole the show tonight by winning the 3200 coming right out of middle school; he’s definitely a welcomed addition to the CG track team,” Principal Doug Bird said.

Junior Grant Mason also scored big points in the 60-meter dash, finishing second with a time of 6.97.

“I got a Personal Record tonight; the MIC is home to some of the greatest athletes in the Indiana. I’m proud to be one of the bunch,” Mason said.

The boys sprinting relays showed promise for indoor state and the upcoming outdoor season. The 4×200 meter relay team consisting of  Russ Yeast, Mason, Zak Smith, and Jackson Hohlt finished 1st. Also, the 4×400 meter relay team including Logan Bontrager, Mason, Smith and Hohlt placed 2nd.

For the girls, Senior Alysha Cheek placed 1st in the shot-put with a throw of 37’3. Rachel Chan started off the season by placing 4th in the 3200 meter run, with a time of 11:58.31; a personal record by 20 seconds. Kylie Falcone helped the team by placing 2nd in pole vault with a personal record of 9’6”.  Falcone also ran on the 4×4 relay team that placed 1st with Olivia Rassel, Ashley Wheat and Julia Riley.

“It’s a different mindset, you have to learn a new strategy. Running on a relay team you can never give up no matter how hard it gets,” Falcone said.

The indoor MIC was just one meet that can qualify individuals and relays for the Indoor State Championships on March 26 at Purdue. The fastest 24 times in each event will compete for the indoor state title.