Key Club works to aid victims of Hurricane Harvey

Ian Kelly and Mylee Grounds | Story

When Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, senior Shelby Cunningham was drawn to the coverage on social media.

“I saw the videos on Facebook and Instagram, and it was extremely sad,” Cunningham said.

After seeing what the people affected by the hurricane were going through, Key Club and Shelby Cunningham started working with the Red Cross. “We came up with the idea of selling wristbands and collecting money,” Cunningham said.

They have been selling #Harvey-Strong and #Irma-Strong bracelets for $1 during lunch, or students can donate directly to the cause. The StaR that donates the most money before Sept. 29 will receive a star party of their choosing. The winner will be announced on Oct. 2.

Not only is Key Club a way for students to help out within our community and country, but it is a way for students to make new friends.  

“I would tell students to join because it is a really fun club where you can make a bunch of positive relationships all while helping the community,” said president Mary Branam.

Branam and the other officers of Key Club ensure things go smoothly. They coordinate the involvement in and out of school, from raising money in the lunchroom to taking part in the annual blood drive.

“It feels good to help the less fortunate and help people all around our community,” said treasurer Tyler Faulkner.

That’s what Key Club is about: connecting students with a desire to volunteer with opportunities in the community.

“I plan on giving our club more volunteering opportunities,” said Branam. “We hope to do more volunteering options outside of what we did in the past. We really just plan on going to different places that we haven’t been before.”