Orchestra members work hard to prepare for their first concert

Katelyn Mitchell | Staff Writer

The CG orchestras have been working hard throughout the first nine weeks to perfect their music and seamlessly perform.

Since it is the first concert of the school year, we are all excited,” junior Kathryn Powell said. “The night will begin with the philharmonic orchestra playing three pieces. Following them, the symphonic orchestra will perform. We have been working really hard on the pieces, so I hope that our efforts will pay off.”

The symphonic orchestra will be performing their new setlist including: Serenade for Strings, Menuet, and Swamp Thang, while the philharmonic orchestra will be performing Elegante, Wired, and Mythos.

“I’m really excited for the orchestra concert. For this concert, only the high school orchestras get to play. I love playing in concerts and just listening and being part of something great,” junior Jacob Hatfield said. “I hope for tonight all the orchestras sound good and play really well. We usually sound amazing in the auditorium, so I think tonight will be a hit.”

The students seem confident with their work and many are eager to get onstage and perform tonight.

“I’m a little nervous,” sophomore Leslie Luong said. “I know that we play really well, but I don’t know how we will do in front of a large audience.”

While some students are nervous, the majority of both orchestras have worked hard and are ready to impress their friends and family.

“We have been practicing for a while, so I feel pretty good about this,” freshman Elisha Clouse said. “I just hope that it doesn’t end badly. I am just ready to get the concert over with so we can move onto bigger and better things.”

With their long practices and hard work the new orchestra music is sure to be a hit, and many students are positive that their new concertmasters will lead them to a good season during ISSMA.

“Our concertmaster is a senior named Emma Erickson,” junior Dillon Gardner said. “She is pretty good, and she stepped up as a leader during solos and really helped out. It was a bit of a transition this year, but she is making it work.”

The symphonic and philharmonic orchestras will be playing tonight in the auditorium at 7:00 p.m. Make sure to come out and support your CG orchestra!