Early College seniors take part in first ever Regency Ball

Lindsey Shaffer | Staff Writer

On Friday, April 26, early college seniors had a hands-on activity to reflect what they learned in class.

“It’s a Regency Ball for our ‘Pride and Prejudice’ unit for World Lit,” Ethan Stanley said. “We all brought in food from the period and we learned some dances from the time period.”

This is the first year the class held this event. “We decided we would learn some of those dances and live the way that the characters live a little bit through the dances,” teacher Lesley McDougal said. “Dancing in that time period is such a huge part of life for them.”

Along with early college students, select choir students were also invited to the event.

“We were asked by Mrs. McDougal, because we’re in Sound System, to put on some costumes, teach dances and work with Mrs. Mueller to help the kids understand what’s going on and help them feel more comfortable,” senior Morgan Jackson said. “There are three of us that are helping that are in Early College as well, so we know all of these kids because we have classes with them on the daily.”

The students spent hours rehearsing in the library learning the dances for the ball.

“I had seen the dances they were doing today and I was not sure what it would look like,” McDougal said. “But they’re picking up on it really well.”

“I’m most excited for the food everybody brought,” Stanley said. The students all had to make treats from the regency era based off of recipes.

McDougal still enjoyed the dancing most. “Just seeing them laugh and have fun and get into their roles was fun,” she said.