Trojan Update with Ben Greller

Each week sports writer Ben Greller will have updates on last week’s sporting events, as well as previewing this week’s matchups. Look for Greller’s update every week to get you ready for each week’s big games. This week includes perspective from sports writer Sebastian Martin.

Girls Basketball The girls basketball team concluded a great season this past Saturday, falling  to Bedford North Lawrence 51-33 in the regionals. The Trojans finished 22-4 overall, which was good for second place in the MIC. They were also county and sectional champions, as well as the Columbus North Holiday Tournament champions.

Wrestling At semi-state this past weekend, Center Grove had two wrestlers come out victorious and punch their ticket to Bankers Life Fieldhouse for the state wrestling finals. Brayden Littell and Peyton Pruett will wrestle in the first round of the state finals on Friday at 6 p.m. at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse.

Girls Swimming and Diving The girls swimming team also concluded their season as well this past weekend. The relay team of Gracie Marsh, Emma Pawlik, Jaden King and Devin Trammell swam a 3:39.59 to finish 22nd at the state meet, one spot better than their seed time. Diver Kenzie Mills, in her first state finals appearance, advanced to the state semi-finals, finishing 18th overall.

Boys Swimming The boys swimming and diving team will swim in sectional semi-finals this coming Thursday with finals on Saturday. Center Grove has had a great year and will go into Saturday with a chance to win the meet and can undoubtedly send multiple swimmers to the state finals.

Boys Basketball (Perspective from Sebastian Martin) The Trojans (13-7) are coming off a week that included a 85-41 win over Roncalli and an eleven point defeat to No. 4 Lawrence Central. This week the Trojans will look for victory at home against Mooresville (13-6) on Tuesday and on the road against North Central (5-14) on Friday. The Trojans will likely be the toughest competitor Mooresville faces until the tournament, and the Pioneers will be coming into the Vandermeer Gymnasium looking to pull off an upset. Assuming Center Grove can take care of business on Friday night, they should walk away with a road win in the conference.

Boys and Girls Track Both track teams will start their first official practice this week. It should be an amazing season as they are bringing in lots of young talent as well as returning a sprinkle of veterans such as Kiyah Yeast, Julia Riley, Makensie Kramer, Sebastian Martin, Gavin Matheson and Sam Hohlt to help compete in their first meet, Indoor MIC, on March 15.