The World Divided

[youtube=http://youtu.be/XqCSLK7obZI]

Black and blue? Or blue and gold? The world has officially been divided in two by a picture released by Tumblr user swiked.

dress-7
The original photo, as posted by Tumblr user swiked.

Far from America, in the Scottish isle Colonsay, a mother of a bride took a picture of the dress that she would wear to her daughter’s wedding. When she sent that picture to her daughter, the bride and her mother both became confused when they could not agree on the color. The bride posted the dress to social media looking for guidance,  and it began to tear the world apart. Celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres, Rob Lowe, Taylor Swift, and Justin Beiber , were all swept up into to black and blue on white and gold war. Swift and Beiber claimed blue and black, Lowe claimed white and gold, while DeGeneres just said “From this day on, the world will be divided into two people. Blue & black, or white & gold”. Many around the web are buzzing with a general theory as to why the dress is perceived differently by people. According to WIRED, the photo is perceived by your brain as the real image minus the first color you see. Therefore, if you first perceive the bluish color to the dress, you end up seeing the gold and white dress. If you first perceive the gold color, then you end up seeing the black and blue dress. WIRED’s image team inserted the picture into Photoshop, and found that the dress was more somewhere in the middle of the two sides. When the background of the dress was removed, and replaced with a neutral black background, the dress actually appears a blue and orange-ish color. One thing is for certain: Ellen DeGeneres has it right. The world has officially been divided in two. Tell us which dress you see!!!! [polldaddy poll=8687715] The article from WIRED can be found here: http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/