Girls soccer wins 9-0, honors teachers during Teacher Appreciation Night

The girls soccer team celebrates during their game against Pike.

Braiden Doane, Staff Writer

On Monday night, the girls varsity soccer team faced off against Pike and finished with a 9-0 win. Additionally, the players were able to recognize their favorite teachers during Teacher Appreciation Night.

“Every game night is important, but this one was special because the teachers that were in attendance got to be recognized,” junior Macy Detty said. “Some teachers at the school really help out our soccer program, and the team wouldn’t run the same without them. My favorite teacher is whom I recognized was Mrs Cullom, because she is very nice and cares about her students.”

Each athlete invited their favorite teacher to the game, and those in attendance were then able to stand up to receive recognition for the work they have put into athletes’ lives.

“Having people go out and watch our games helps us get more hyped. Some of my teachers will try and attend every home game, which helps me see how much they care. They also will take time out of their day to ask me about soccer, which means a lot. I chose Mr Werner because he is very supportive and makes class fun,” junior Paige Waskom said. 

Soccer players were able to not only reflect on the relationships they have built with their teachers, but also their relationships with teammates and young athletes.

“I’m sad to see my high school soccer career coming to an end. It is nice to be able to celebrate some of my last memories with my teachers, coaches, and students that have helped to shape me into the athlete and person I am today” senior Bri Poore said.

The girls are back in action tonight at home against Lawrence Central at 7:15 p.m.