Presidential Election: Meet the Candidates

Graham Kanwit, Website Editor

This is the page for basic information on each of the three major candidates running for president in the 2020 election.

Joe Biden

Political Party: Democrat

Background: former Vice President, U.S. Senator from Delaware

Key Issues: 

Healthcare: opposes Medicare-for-All, but in favor of expanding upon the existing Affordable Care Act (ACA)

Immigration: supports DACA and citizenship for Dreamers and upholding the statute for illegal entry

Social Issues: pro-choice with some limits

Education: supports expanding existing student loan programs and making the first two years of college free

Economy: in favor of raising the federal minimum wage to $15/hour and increasing existing taxes on Americans in the upper income level

Criminal Justice: in favor of abolishing capital punishment, ending cash-bail reform, and abolishing private prisons

Drugs: supports decriminalizing marijuana, leaving marijuana legalization to the states, and eliminating the cocaine sentencing disparity

Foreign Policy: supports ending the travel ban and freezing support for Saudi Arabia in the Yemeni Civil War

Gun Control: in favor of a voluntary buyback program for assault weapons, universal background checks, and a national firearm registry

Bernie Sanders

Political Party: Democrat

Background: U.S. Senator from Vermont

Key Issues:

Healthcare: supports Medicare-for-All

Immigration: supports eliminating the statute for illegal entry

Social Issues: pro-choice, supports few limits on abortion if any

Education: supports free college and canceling all student debt

Economy: in favor of raising the federal minimum wage to $15/hour and raising taxes on the wealthy to fund new social programs

Criminal Justice: in favor of abolishing capital punishment, ending cash-bail reform, and abolishing private prisons

Drugs: in favor of legalizing marijuana and eliminating the cocaine sentencing disparity

Foreign Policy: supports tariffs on certain countries and changing the current approach to China

Gun Control: in favor of a voluntary buyback program for assault weapons and universal background checks

Donald Trump

Political Party: Republican

Background: Incumbent President

Key Issues: 

Healthcare: in favor of repealing the ACA, cutting drug prices, and reforming Medicaid

Immigration: supports the creation of a wall along the Southern border, reducing illegal immigration and constructing a merit-based system of entry for migrants with specific job skills

Social Issues: supports a ban on abortion and a ban on transgender citizens serving in the military

Economy: supports lowering corporate and individual taxes

Criminal Justice: in favor of capital punishment

Drugs: opposes marijuana legalization until further studied, supports implementing the death penalty for drug dealers

Foreign Policy: pro-Israel, recognizes Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, supports a small peacekeeping force in Syria, supports re-evaluating alliances and putting national interests before international interests

Gun Control: supports arming public school employees to reduce the threat of mass shootings