Girls golf defeats Roncalli, gains experience on regional course

Senior Lanie DeHaven earns medalist honors

Molly Stoops

Lanie DeHaven putts from the edge of the green during tonight’s match against Roncalli. DeHaven earned medalist honors, shooting a 39.

Sam Findley, Sports Editor

The girls golf team started tonight’s matchup against Roncalli with clear skies and 81-degree weather. After a brief rain shower, the Trojans left the course damp and victorious, beating the Rebels 162-224, with medalist Lanie DeHaven shooting a low score of 39. 

“We made goals throughout the week and were able to capitalize on them. One of my goals was to keep focused and dial in to execute the shot I wanted to take,” DeHaven said. “The rain didn’t really affect me because I got done before it started but the weather was a lot at the beginning.”

Center Grove also got help from junior Sage Parsetich, who shot a 41. Parsetich and the Trojans prepared for their matchup throughout the week at the range.

“When we are on the range we envision each hole and then put ourselves in good places and just work from there,” Parsetich said. “All of our practicing at Dye’s Walk and Hickory Stick helped and so did focusing on what we weren’t confident in and being confident in it in the match.” 

Sophomore Lexi Stuart placed second in the Trojans lineup with a score of 41. Stuart fell back on her practice and discipline despite the obstacles. 

“It was important to just stay mentally positive, even though it was a little rough out there with the rain toward the end. I just continued through and didn’t give up,” Stuart said. “We practiced six days a week and went through the [putting] green and the range and that got us prepared.”

While Coach Cale Hoover was happy with the win, he also hopes tonight built momentum and gave the team. valuable experience on the regional course.

“You’re excited; you enjoy it at the moment, but really tomorrow you want to turn the page. You just really keep momentum going so, that is what it’s really all about. Leave trying to feel good about yourself and build off of it to the next event,” Hoover said. “This course is where we play our regional so really this match was not so much about who we were playing but more about getting on the course one more time.”