Fantasy Football Report: Week 13

Gourav Pany, Staff Writer

No one needs to be told to start Patrick Mahomes on their fantasy team. But what about the flex tight-end/wide-receiver position? What about that one running back on waivers that might be able to fill in a spot for a starting running back on a bye week? Well, this is the place to find the important information in terms of fantasy football, as well as to get a second opinion on who to start or sit this week.

START:

QB: Derek Carr, Las Vegas Raiders

Carr had a sensational game last week against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, with 373 yards and one touchdown that helped the Raiders pull off the upset in an offensive showdown. Carr had amazing passing yardage against the Cowboys, but only managed to score once, which diminished his fantasy value. However, he goes up against a Washington defense that allowed two passing touchdowns to the lowly Seahawks offense on Monday Night Football. Combined with Carr’s high passing floor from a fantasy perspective, this matchup seems to be one that would yield many points for Carr, even more so because Washington ranks first in points allowed to opposing quarterbacks.

Projection: 22.64 points (non-PPR)

RB: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Kansas City Chiefs

In his return from injured reserve, Edwards-Helaire recorded 76 total scrimmage yards and a touchdown against the Dallas Cowboys, which alleviated any concerns of lingering effects from his knee injury. With an additional bye week to rest up, Edwards-Helaire is poised for a big game against the Denver Broncos. Though the Broncos stifled the offense to the tune of thirteen points, they allowed 99 total yards and a touchdown to RB Austin Ekeler, which bodes well for Edwards-Helaire. The Broncos have been soft against the run this season, and with QB Patrick Mahomes finally realizing that he can hand the ball off to the running back on option runs, this game looks to be a breakout game for Edwards-Helaire.

Projection: 12.40 points (non-PPR)

WR: Marquise Brown, Baltimore Ravens

Although Marquise Brown did not have ideal fantasy production last week against the Cleveland Browns, he did receive ten targets and hauled in eight of them for 51 yards. Brown’s production was the effect of a shallow passing range by QB Lamar Jackson, which led to many catch and run opportunities, none of which led to big gains. Brown was also targeted on a couple of deep shots, which increases his fantasy floor because of his big-play touchdown potential. When going up against a banged-up Pittsburgh Steelers defense, Marquise Brown should be looked at as a solid WR1.

Projection: 11.10 points (non-PPR)

TE: Mark Andrews, Baltimore Ravens

Against the Cleveland Browns last week, Mark Andrews was targeted ten times, catching four and going for 65 yards and a touchdown. Of those ten targets, four of them were interceptions thrown by QB Lamar Jackson, but that shouldn’t pose much of a problem, other than the fact that it shows that other teams are aware of Andrews’ production and are willing to pool resources in stopping one of the best tight ends in the game. Andrews will draw a matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers, who have been solid against tight ends this season, but might falter against a passing attack that is centered around Andrews and WR Marquise Brown.

Projection: 12.20 points (non-PPR)

K: Nick Folk, New England Patriots

Folk has been sensational this season for the Patriots, and draws a matchup against a Buffalo Bills defense that is soft against the run but strong in the red zone. This is the perfect scenario for Folk in terms of fantasy, as he will look to have multiple opportunities because of a conservative Patriots offense that opts to kick field goals instead of going for it on 4th down. Added to that is the accuracy that Folk has displayed all season, which will not only lead to attempts, but accurate field goals, which will lead to many points for the potential Pro-Bowler.

Projection: 10.00 points (non-PPR)

DEF: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Buccaneers defense was heavily exploited last week in the passing game by a Colts game that is, at best, average in the passing game. However, they showed their defensive capabilities by coming away with five turnovers and three sacks, all of which gave them a bounty of points on the fantasy side, even though they surrendered 31 points. They do not need to worry about that kind of offensive output this week, in which they play the Atlanta Falcons, against whom the Buccaneers scored their most points in terms of fantasy defense this season. Added to their optimal matchup is the return of CB Sean Murphy-Bunting, who might also be joined by CB Carlton Davis, who will bolster an average secondary and make it into the takeaway machine it was earlier in the season.

Projection: 12.00 points (non-PPR)

SIT:

QB: Daniel Jones, New York Giants

It hasn’t been easy to see any Giants games this season outside of New York, and fans may be thankful for the arrangement. This is no shot at the Giants, but it is apparent that the Giants have shown no propensity to protect Daniel Jones, which has negatively impacted his play so much that there are whispers that Giants General Manager Dave Gettleman might be fired because of his poor choice on the offensive line. Jones will also be going up against the Miami Dolphins, who have the assets to match up against WR Kenny Gollday and WR Kadarius Toney, as well as a ferocious pass rush that will torment Daniel Jones. Overall, Jones does not look like a good option in fantasy, though much of it is not his fault.

Projection: 12.98 points (non-PPR)

RB: Cordarrelle Patterson, Atlanta Falcons

Patterson exploded last week as the only playmaker for the Falcons against the Jaguars’ average defense, posting 108 rushing yards to go with 27 receiving yards and two touchdowns. However, he goes up against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are coming off a game in which they stifled RB Jonathan Taylor for most of the game. Patterson, while versatile, is not even close to the caliber Taylor is, which leads to not only an unfavorable matchup but a week in which it is fitting to sit Patterson given he is the only playmaker. besides TE Kyle Pitts, on the Falcons defense, leading to extra attention to him as the focal point of the offense.

Projection: 6.20 points (non-PPR)

WR: Stefon Diggs, Buffalo Bills

Diggs has had an amazing stretch in which he has posted more than 80 yards or a touchdown in six straight weeks. However, that is projected to end with a matchup against the Patriots in Week 13. The Patriots have played stifling defense ever since their loss to the Dallas Cowboys, a stretch which has included the stifling of QB Justin Herbert and QB Ryan Tannehill, two of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. CB JC Jackson will be matched up against Diggs all day, and with the complicated zone/man hybrid scheme that the Patriots run, it will be confusing to say the least for OC Brian Diablo to conjure high-percentage plays that would get Diggs involved in the passing game.

Projection: 5.70 points (non-PPR)

TE: Dawson Knox, Buffalo Bills

Similar to WR Stefon Diggs above, Knox also draws a thought matchup against a Patriots secondary that might be the best in the NFL when covering tight ends, with sophomore phenom SS Kyle Dugger playing sensational in both coverage in the run game, along with FS Adrian Phillips, who has also shown an amazing capability to shut down tight ends. QB Josh Allen has struggled against the Patriots throughout his career, and compounding his struggles will be Knox’s inability to get open against the middle of the Patriots’ defense, leading to a bad matchup and not many opportunities for the breakout tight end.

Projection: 3.60 points (non-PPR)

K: Cairo Santos, Chicago Bears

While Santos is a good kicker in his own right, he plays for a team in the Chicago Bears that has shown no aptitude to move the ball into the opponent’s territory, especially without QB Justin Fields in the lineup. Even with Fields at quarterback, HC Matt Nagy gives nothing for the defense to consider when it comes to play-calling, which has impacted this offense in a negative way. Santos has not had many opportunities to score points, and his highest scoring game came against the winless Detroit Lions. Added to that is the feisty Arizona Cardinals defense theBears face this week, who match up really well against the Bears, which is not good for Santos’ fantasy outlook.

Projection: 4.00 points (non-PPR)

DEF: Chicago Bears

It may seem prudent to start a normally stingy Chicago Bears defense, but this defense is very different from the one that started the season. They have suffered many injuries on the defensive side, including their star OLB Khalil Mack, who was a nightmare off the edge for most defenses. Adding to that is their matchup against the Arizona Cardinals, who will be getting a fully healthy QB Kyler Murray back to terrorize opposing defenses with both his passing and rushing capabilities. When it’s all said and done, the Bears have a less than average defensive scheme, average players and a bad matchup, all of which are the recipes for disaster for most fantasy defenses, if not all.

Projection: 1.00 points (non-PPR)