Flying to a pilot’s license

Senior Luke Hobson completes aviation training on his pursuit of a pilot’s license
Photo Contributed
Senior Luke Hobson climbs into a plane during one of his scheduled trainings.

While most students are getting accustomed to driving a car, senior Luke Hobson has been pursuing a different kind of license.

Hobson recently got his pilot’s license so that he could step closer to his goal of traveling the world and seeing the views.

“I enjoy the peace. It’s just kind of where I’ve always wanted to be, in the air,” Hobson said. “It’s the most peaceful thing when you’re up there because you think about flying and nothing else.” 

Hobson did the ground school portion of learning to fly through C9’s aviation program. Following that, he decided he wanted to do the flight portion in the second semester, and after getting his hours by flying around twice a week, he took and passed the test.

“I like how structured it is,” Hobson said. “It’s rigorous training because I’m obviously flying a plane, so I had to go through a whole bunch of emergency procedures to make sure I keep everyone safe in the plane. At the end of the day, it’s very rewarding.” 

Operating airplanes can be dangerous if one isn’t well trained or responsible. While flying, Hobson relies on his training to keep him safe.

“I struggled a lot probably with my emergency procedures  because a lot of it is trying to learn how to do everything and get into a rhythm, and being quick on your feet,” Hobson said.

Earning a pilot’s license can take time and practice, but it’s possible to eventually overcome one’s struggles and improve.

“I kind of just think of anything that happens, so I always think about emergencies,” Hobson said. “I treat everything like an emergency, so I’m always thinking of the next step–what could happen or when things could happen and trying to see and avoid other airplanes.”

After the whole process of learning to fly and earning his license, Hobson can finally reap the reward of his hard work.

“[I earned my pilot’s license] to travel the world and also for the views,” Hobson said. “I really like the sunsets.”