The Duff Review

_N8A1229.NEF
GUY D ALEMA/CBS

The Duff mixes elements of serious topics, such as cliques and stereotypes, with humor likely to make you crack with laughter. This future teen trend allows for viewers to connect with the cliques and stereotypes that are formed in high school. From being a scrawny freshman to the superior senior, The Duff features the social hierarchy of high school in which students will either climb or fall. In some cases, kids seem to be towards the top of the social ladder when really they are the lowest of the low. These kids are the Duffs, the designated ugly fat friends. Director Ari Sandel, who based the movie on the book by Kody Keplinger, brings the typical high school setting to life. The film sheds light on the drama and reality that is brought on by cliques. Bianca Piper (Mae Whitman) makes the challenging journey from being “the Duff” to embracing her own personality with the help of her popular and attractive neighbor Wes (Robbie Amell). While the social climb is rough, it is made even more difficult by the not so “passive-aggressive” and even more “aggressive-aggressive” it girl Madison (Bella Thorne).

_N7A9652.NEF
GUY D ALEMA/CBS

The movie itself was lighthearted, entertaining, and hilarious. The constant quips and improv between the actors brought a realistic view of high school life from friends hanging to the confrontation between archenemies.

_N8A3550.NEF
GUY D ALEMA/CBS

The film not only has a sense of camaraderie between the actors, but also multiple scenes of relatable comedy. A portion of the movie was purely the actor’s sense of humor, filling the script with unplanned laughter and letting the actor’s creativity shine. Although full of laughs, The Duff shows that everyone is judged in some way and that stereotypes do not matter. The Duff is full of realistic hilarity, but when brought down to its roots The Duff provides a lesson that everyone should hear.  No matter if someone thinks that they are a “DUFF” or not this film has something to teach everyone. This film is a must see because of message of the film and the mix of comedy. The Duff starring Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, and Bella Thorne premieres in theatres on February 20, 2015. Rating: 4.5/5